HELP!! 3 mo. Sussex cockerel with swollen/watery breast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by siouxray, Aug 17, 2008.

1. siouxray

siouxray Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2007
    New York
    We let them out to free range yesterday & he had a large lump on his chest that seems to be full of water. I was able to get some out with a syringe (he was such a good boy about it too [​IMG] ) but it's still swollen somewhat. We seperated him and brought him back in the house . He is drinking more than normal and does have mild diarrhea but acts fine otherwise. I've tried to find out what it is but am not having too much luck - could anybody help out? I haven't given him anything yet as I can't figure out what it is. Thank you!!

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Is it his crop?

3. siouxray

Sep 11, 2007
    New York
    We thought it might be his crop but I've only heard of it getting hard but his is all fluid. Poor guy makes a jiggling sound....

4. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Is it on one side? Can you take a pic?

5. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

you said he was drinking alot...why would it be surprising that his crop is full of fluid??? the fluid is probally water.

6. siouxray

Sep 11, 2007
    New York
    My kids have the digital camera at the moment - hopefully I can post something tomorrow. It's his whole breast that is swollen and it hangs down quite far. Between drinking alot and his diarrhea, I'm pretty sure he's fighting an infection but what it is concerns me, too. So far, the other Sussex that were in with him are fine. It's gone down just a touch today but still quite swollen.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:K i am gonna ask this here...since you brought it up...I noticed my hen had a bloated looking crop but it is just on the one side...I felt it and it felt squishy and the hen did not seem to mind me doing this...whats up with the 1/2 swollen crop?

8. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    siouxray:...sometimes if they have an impaction, or partial impaction, they drink a lot of water to try and feel full.
    then the crop gets bigger because it can't drain properly..
    recheck in the morning before he eats or drinks and see if it has emptied.

is the roo eating?

mjsdhs:...check the crop in the morning as above..

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    good news my hens crop went down over night I guess she liked her treats a lil to much that night

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It could be an air sac injury; could he have flown into something hard? I've had a few with injured air sacs; the swelling is very soft, not hard. Both times I had this, I separated the bird & the swelling was reabsorbed into their systems after several days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by