1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! 3 week Chick cant poop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by s0999697, May 5, 2017.

1. s0999697

s0999697 New Egg

Apr 15, 2017
    Hi everyone,

I need some help trying to figure out how to help this chick. Shes a black silkie, 3 weeks old. She has been trouble pooping (no pasty butt). She cries when she tries to go and it takes her a long time. She eats and drinks normally though she is really small compared to the rest of the flock. The weird thing is her butt protrudes when she tries to poop (see picture). I haven' t seen this before.

Its not pasty butt. And Ive tried diet change, adding stuff to the water to make her drink more, massaging her, hot water baths, oilve oil. Nothing works. Can anyone please please please tell me if they've had this before or any ideas?

Thank you!

Also in the picture you can see the protrusion. Its only like this when she tries to poop. Its not swollen to the touch.
    [​IMG]

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    What are you feeding? Chick crumbles? Try moistening it. Better yet, ferment it ---add a little apple cider vinegar to the moist feed and let it set overnight....they love it.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. s0999697

s0999697 New Egg

Apr 15, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes ive just been feeding her chicken crumbles and occasionally spinach (though she prefers the crumbles). The others can have the apple cider vinegar crumbles too?

4. ILuvMyFlock

ILuvMyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2017
    On the Farm
    It could be a prolapsed vent caused by constipation. Maybe try lightly washing the area with warm water or use preparation h or whatever it's called. Maybe also try looking up something that the chicken can take orally to help it go.

5. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Yes they can all have it. Look for forums on fermented feed, it's very good for them. Just put a tiny splash of vinegar in.

6. s0999697

s0999697 New Egg

Apr 15, 2017
    Great SueT! Thanks!!

7. s0999697

s0999697 New Egg

Apr 15, 2017
    Would a prolapsed vent be out though? Its only like that when she tries to poop. I thought it was a build up at first but its not hardened.

8. ILuvMyFlock

May 2, 2017
    On the Farm

Prolapses can indeed go in and out just like in humans, they can happen sort of rarely from straining. I've heard some people say they push them back in the chickens bottom but I don't know if I recommend that... I'm no expert but if she goes poop eventually the bird should be okay but if the bird can't poop it probably needs helped out. Some prolapses I read can go away on their own.

9. s0999697

s0999697 New Egg

Apr 15, 2017
    I never has experience with prolapses so thats why I thought it would be showing regardless of what she was doing. I will have to read more on that then. Thanks for the insight.

10. ILuvMyFlock

May 2, 2017
    On the Farm

Sorry I couldn't be of much help :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by