help 3 week chick with a twisted neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by treehouse, Mar 1, 2009.

1. treehouse

treehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    It is crooked and feel to be shaking when you hold her/him but is not visibly shaking when you set her/him down

its almost like a seizure tightness I dont get it
    He/she has been fine until the last few days and it seems to get worse. I have tried to read similar posts but not sure if it is similar.

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee324/theresahicks/DSCN0920.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. vicmower

vicmower Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    I read an article on this condition called wryneck. It suggested a link to vitamin E or a selenium deficiency. I changed my chick feed from chicken starter/grower to gamebird starter/grower which has a much higher protein content, and I have no further problems with wryneck.

3. treehouse

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    really WOW will it go away if it is an exsisting condition?

4. chutewoman

chutewoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2008
    Mid- Missouri
    It will not hurt to put it on vitamins just in case it is caused by a deficiency, so get it some vitamins ASAP. Yes they can get better if that is the cause of the problem. You can use children's vitamin drops or the local feed store may have vitamins for livestock that you add to the water. But you must take care and see that it drinks it down.

5. treehouse

Oct 30, 2008
    North Dallas
    THANK YOU SO MUCH. I HAVE BIRD VITAMINS FOR MY FINCH AND CONURE WILL THAT WORK UNTIL I CAN GET TO THE STORE LATER TODAY?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by