HELP! 3 week old chick dominating 6 others

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chikenlady, May 5, 2008.

1. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Hi all!

I have a problem with my three week old chicks. I have 8 barred rock chicks and 6 black austrolorp chicks. They are all three weeks old.

I have recently moved them all together into a larger brooder pen. They started out in one brooder box, then were seperated into two brooder boxes (kept breeds together). They were getting much too big for these boxes, so I moved them into a much bigger arrangement in our garage. They have a run area with an attached barn...a lot of room!

One of the black barred chicks ( I believe is a roo ) is dominating all 6 black barred chicks. They will huddle up in a corner or side and he will get over them and peck at them. Is this normal? Should I put him in solitary confinement? What should I do?? I am so concerned for my BA's!!

Lori:(

2. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I've had a few like this also...you need to stop the behavior. You are HEAD roo and this chick cannot pick on your girls like that. Just be perisistant when you see the behavior take the chick out of the brooder for a little bit. It'll calm down...
    [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The chicks are finding their place in the pecking order. They will work it out. As long as there is no bloodshed and no one is being starved from the food it is perfectly normal. You had them separate and now they are toegther and a new pecking order has to be established.

4. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    I agree with Miss Prissy...same thing happens with horses to some extent.
    Just watch to make sure they others are eating drinking and pooping.
    Good luck!

5. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Thanks for your replies. I will keep an eye on them and make sure they are getting enough to eat and drink. I am a teacher and "bullying" in any form just bothers me!!

Lori:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by