Help 3 week old chick weird breathing!

we had two who breathed like that, they died very early on one even died in our arms breathing like that. It went on for days I knew something was wrong I kept looking at them and they ended up passing away. I don’t know what to call it my dad and my grandmother had a weird name for it in our native language because apparently it’s a common thing (atleast where they are from) the name loosely translates to “the plague/disease” but for chickens I’m afraid I’m not much help here :/ (also I am not a chicken professional this is my first year seriously taking care of chickens keep that in mind)

Anyways, we separated the chickens from the flock when this happened and gave them special attention making sure we checked everything and wether they weren’t constipated, giving them food and water and making sure we checked everything... the vets here and even several hours away don’t help chickens especially not baby chicks so we couldn’t do much.

after we separated them nothing else could be done so we just let nature take its course. I buried it in our backyard with flowers and some of the snacks it liked

this will maybe not be the outcome for your chicken it is just what happened to me since we had two baby chicks who died of that cause (and my dad having many more in his childhood dying like that) but I hope someone else on the forum has a different reply and perhaps some help

good luck with your chicken I hope all goes well, keep us updated if you can.

I would just make sure that there is good overhead ventilation in your brooder or coop. If there are any wet spots, the water and feed can mold in the bedding and cause brooder pneumonia, a fungal disease from mold. I’m not sure what makes her nostrils flair in and out, but she seems to be having some respiratory problem.

I had a Cream Legbar that had a little "billows" effect beside her nares when she breathed. It concerned me at first, and I thought she might have an obstruction in her sinuses. But she always behaved normally. The condition persisted her entire six years of life and never got worse or affected her quality of life.

Some little quirks are just part of some chickens, and try as we might, they seem to have not explanation, nor consequences to their health.

I had a Cream Legbar that had a little "billows" effect beside her nares when she breathed. It concerned me at first, and I thought she might have an obstruction in her sinuses. But she always behaved normally. The condition persisted her entire six years of life and never got worse or affected her quality of life.

Some little quirks are just part of some chickens, and try as we might, they seem to have not explanation, nor consequences to their health.
Phew well that put my worries at ease. Some days she does it more then other days. I'll keep an eye on her but it doesn't seem to be effecting her in any way.😊

Back
Top Bottom