1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help!!! 3 week old chick with broken toe.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by outdoorsgal, Oct 9, 2015.

1. outdoorsgal

outdoorsgal New Egg

Jun 16, 2015
    have a 3 week old chick with a broken toe. graphic: it is completely moved under her other toe with the bone sticking out. i'm not sure how i could possibly move it back to get the bone back inside or if i will just move it straight but the one will be sticking out. will her flesh ever somehow grow over the bone? i don't know what to do. thanku for any direction! so far we've just disenfected it and the guy at the feed store was going to call back 2 hrs ago and now closed. he said it's a prob is the bone is showing and i originally thought that i had chopped off the whole toe and he said that was ok. should i chop off the toe or try to splint it the best i can? or do we put her out of her misery? :(

2. outdoorsgal

outdoorsgal New Egg

Jun 16, 2015
    I thought I'd mention that she was limping after it happened and then laid right down. i put her with me on a chair and she tried to hide away. she's not able to walk on it. i think it really hurts her if she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by