help 3 weekold six black copper marans had 6 down to 3

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenreyna, Oct 16, 2017.

1. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    About 3 weeks old maybe 18 days to be exact. Didn't seem very energetic from thr go thought it was the couple hours outside in heat until three more passed. Missing feathers but no pecking is going on. Sneezing and eyes appear swollen. Thimlnk they may have lice or mites bc bald spots they have had since purchased? I gave them pronbiotiotics and electrolytes and after third one died switch tubs cleaned out waterers and feeders. Ive been giving them small amounts of medicated water doses of bmd soluble (bacitracin methylenedisalicylate solable powder, in a dropper) sneezing still continues their eyes are slightly swollen plz any advice i dont want to lose them all. I just bought de dust i am about to google if its safe for treatment at their young age

Attached Files:

2. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Hard to take pictures of

Attached Files:

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Didn't see this post until now, sorry. Do not use DE since it can affect breathing, making them worse. It seems they are suffering from a respiratory infection, possibly mycoplasma (MG.) MG spreads from other chickens who are carriers, or can be passed on through hatching eggs. Do they smell very bad around the face? Get some injectable Tylan 50 at your feed store and use it orally--1/4 ml per chick twice a day for 5 days. You will need syringes and 20 gauge needles to withdraw it from the vial, but do not give shots to them this young. Bacitracin was used in past more for intestinal infections. Take time to offer each chick water, since sick chicks do not drink well. Dip their beaks for a second, then let them swallow. Keep them warm since they may chill--about 80 degrees F is good. Clean the eyes with saline or water to keep them open. Terramycin eye ointment from feed stores can be applied into clean eyes twice a day.

koolestgrandma and chickenreyna like this.
  4. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    So, wait, are they carriers for life even if they show no symotoms then? yes, they vary in different sizes, too. Constant sneezing or coughing. Id say they stink worse than normal not sure if its their face i have a flock outside so i am reallt ocd about not cross contaminating washing my hands even changing shirt if the baby made contact with my shirt.

5. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I cant risk infecting thr others. Even if they do get better. I googled what you said and unfortunately.. it matches almost perfectly. oh goodness no

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can try to get testing done locally or cull one and get a necropsy by your state vet. Many backyard flocks can be positive for mycoplasma. The ones affected and those around them can be carriers.

Wyorp Rock and chickenreyna like this.
  7. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    They rest of my flock have never been around the babies. The babies are in my spare room. But you are saying that its fairly common and one chicken can have it and not display symptoms so if one has it then they all carry it. Is that right and theres no cure ? Unrelated random sorry, Someone i know is suffering from cucci and swollen faces sneezing only getting two eggs from over from over 40+ hens. Is this a similar disease

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Birds that have had respiratory illness and those that have been exposed - regardless if they ever show symptoms are considered carriers. Some birds may never ever show symptoms, but can still carry a virus that can be transmitted through feathers, dander, dust, etc. A person can also spread illness if bio-security is not practiced between flocks - clothes and shoes can track illness from one area to another.

It is always a good idea to have some testing performed to know what you are dealing with. A lot depends on what your current and future chicken keeping goals are. If you have a backyard flock and don't plan on selling/trading/giving away hatching eggs, chicks, started pullets, etc., then managing symptoms as they arise may be the best way to proceed.

Doing some research/reading on different poultry diseases, how they are transmitted and about bio-security may help answer some of your questions. Here's some links to get you started:
    Biosecurity/Quarantine
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2016/08/biosecurity-for-backyard-chickens.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/quarantine-of-backyard-chickens-why-and.html
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/07/backyard-biosecurity.html

Poultry Diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/hobby-farming/raising-chickens/respiratory-illness-in-chickens/

Coccidiosis does not cause swollen faces and sneezing - if this person you know wants to make a post describing their problem along with photos - we will be happy to make suggestions.

As always - no one here is a vet - seeking professional medical care is always best.

9. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Ok thanks for the info heres some photos today and i got them on the 30th of September couldn't of been over a couple days ols heres photos i took today. .

Attached Files:

10. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    And more

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: