Help, 3 wk old bully!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lchavis, Apr 20, 2016.

1. lchavis

lchavis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    My chicks are 3 weeks old. I have a bunch of different kinda of chicks.we have 1 chick that has started pulling tail feathers off of the others (we're pretty sure its our biggest Red Ranger). He has gotton our other 4 red rangers, 1 of our Rainbows (I believe its a rainbow) & has gotten 1 feather from 1 ISA BR. I just found this out this afternoon when we were cleaning ther brooder

I currently have the "injured" seperated from the rest. I didn't want to come out to a carnivorous mess.

Is this completely normal or is there aonething I should do?

2. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feather pulling etc can be signs of boredom and lacking space. So first question is how many chicks in how big of a brooder?

3. lchavis

Apr 2, 2016
    25 chicks they were in a 4x4 (approximate) space. We just increased the size today (their 3 wk mark)

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I agree, too much heat, crowding and boredom will lead to many pecking problems. You need to give them plenty of room, a way of getting away from the heat and preferably some outside time. After about two weeks of age chicks get mentally and physically bored sitting in a brooder. It's time for digging, scratching, pecking, sunshine and fresh air.

5. lchavis

Apr 2, 2016
    Here's pictures of 4 of the birds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. sarahandjay

Do you have any pick no more or blue kote to put onto the chicks that are hurt?
    If not you need to pick some up because even though they are separated from the others the ones they are with will prob cont to pick at the red spot.

7. lchavis

Apr 2, 2016
    Should I keep these ones seperated for a little while or will they be fine left with the others?

8. lchavis

Apr 2, 2016
    I don't. We just discoverd this at 5:30 tonight. I will have to go find some tomorrow

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I don't see peck marks on your chicks just feathers coming in, am I missing something?

10. sarahandjay

I would just to minimize anymore picking till you can cover the spots.
    The more spcae you can give the chicks the better and giving them some time outside weather permiting would be a good idea as well.

@oldhenslikesdogs picture 3 def has some damage and peck marks. You might need to zoom alittle because at first glance it looks like feathers but its not. The last one isnt to bad a very small spot by the base of the tail. The first two the area around the vent looks raw as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by