HELP! 3wk chick suddenly shrieks, shakes head, mouth open

ChimiChanga808

In the Brooder
May 19, 2021
HELP!
3wk chick choking?
its happening again:(

Was fine all morning & took them outside mid mornin. Suddenly every 5-10 min 1-2 shrieks accompanied by a jump/flapping and violent head shake began. He also leaves his mouth open after for a moment.

he’s immediately really lethargic between. I just hold him and he sleeps/shakey.
Opens his mouth as if he’s choking.

Dropper feeding him pedialyte and coconut oil slowlyyy in a few drops. But isn’t swallowing. Just stays in his mouth.

They r only 3 weeks old/still on starter food. They have limited outdoor monitored time. Chimi is the smaller and generally doesn’t get the bug first anyways. I have yet to see him eat one. So this shouldn’t be gape worm.
But they do eat little flowers,buds,seeds outside.

This happened a week ago and I thought he was dying. He was so weak by the end of 1 day I was dropper feeding him pedialyte. He wouldn’t eat or drink. We pulled a long hair from his mouth at the end of the day & he started to get better.

-Are these just hairs??

Shouldn’t be sour crop since they’re only on starter food.
-Could be impacted? From flowers/buds/seeds they find outside/feathers?

-can’t find a graphic anywhere on the web of where a baby chicks crop is even located. I see it on our big chickens. Don’t feel it or see it on chicks. So can’t tell you if it’s hard or soft or full.
Poops are fine.

Also, don’t actually know if Chimi is a “he” yet, but have been calling him that.
help!

Back
Top Bottom