1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! 3wk old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thebluebuffalo, Sep 2, 2015.

1. thebluebuffalo

thebluebuffalo New Egg

Sep 25, 2012
    We have a 4 week old chick that has a swollen under belly and around the vent area. Looks kinda like the chick has a golf ball in her belly... "Brownie" is eating and acting fine... It doesn't seem to bother or hurt Brownie... Can any one help us out and know what it could possibly be!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. Banaynaychicken

Banaynaychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    Vail, AZ
    Well If it were near her Neck, I would say its just her crop, don't worry about it, she is just eating a lot and you should ration her food,.... but I haven't seen this yet. I've only been a chicken owner for 2 weeks and I already know more about chickens than I ever wished XD I recommend looking at chicken anatomy first, and seeing what possible diseases/ body issues are common in chicks. If she seems to be fine, I say leave her be. DO NOT push on the lump. It could rupture or explode, eliminating any chance of treating your chick. It could be that she has Hay and other thread like substances in her gizzard that are all balled up, though i Do not know that treatment for this. I would assume small amounts of water would flush it through, but then you have a risk of expanding the grass and hay, due to the fact that it absorbs water.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It looks like there are no feathers on its bottom, is that what I'm seeing.

4. Banaynaychicken

Banaynaychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    Vail, AZ
    So I was reading up on chick anatomy and diseases, but I have a question first. When did this "lump" start?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by