HELP!!!3wk old duck falling over

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Theprussia4, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Theprussia4

Theprussia4 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    I have a 3wk old duck who kept falling on his back and not being able to get up. I brought him in for 3 days and gave him Niacin. He seemed a little bit better so I put him back outside, he was fine for a few hours and started falling over again. He leans to his left side and puts his left wing down when he tries to walk. I keep going out to check on him and he is usually stuck on his back. I don't know what to do or what else may be wrong with him. Please help!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Theprussia4

Jun 25, 2012
    I feel they were/are in the same boat as I... Hmm... thank you.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So, are you continuing the niacin? Is it plain niacin? I have read that the no-flush and timed release are not the best for this.

Also, sometimes an infection can cause this.

5. Theprussia4

Jun 25, 2012
    I am giving him a liquid B vitamin, when I read up on it, that was the suggested thing to use. How do you know it's infection and what do you do

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's not easy to determine if it's an infection, at least, from what I have read and heard.

I think without a vet's help, I would probably go with the B vitamins for several days, and look out for a very warm bill or legs, lethargy, loss of appetite, metallic green poop.

If I saw those symptoms I would add an antibiotic to the treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by