HELP 4.5 month old maran sounds funny, hiccuping?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunshineyarns, Aug 6, 2011.

1. sunshineyarns

sunshineyarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Hi....we woke up this morning to our Maran making really weird sounds...it seems like every breath
    She takes there is this horn like sound that comes out. Definetly far from her normal sounds. She
    Also sounds like she is hiccuping too?!

She is eating and drinking fine and acting totally normal. Coop is clean, always have fresh water
    And food. I've been feeding them ranchway organic feed crumble/milled grains...and they get kitchen
    Scraps.

Could she have something stuck in there? Thanks for you advice/help!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Could she be trying to crow?

Is there any gurgling in her chest? Does she have any discharge from her eyes/nose/mouth?

3. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    No crowing...she is definetly a hen. No discharge from anywhere, but ill go take a closer look too.

4. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    I just went to check on her again, and there is no gurggling or discharge. She is sounding really squeaky, and its more when she breaths...aka more frequent than chicken sounds... when she "hiccups" its almost like a sharp squeak too. Help!

5. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    She is still making the sound and I'm just terrified. She is acting normal still, eating, drinking. The sound reminds me actually of a calf trying to moo. The sound is heavier on her breaths out, and she is stil making that hiccuping sound. I spoke with a vet and they suggested it could be a respiratory infection, gapeworm or a bacterial infection. Any thoughts?

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    If it's associated with her breathing, it's probably some type of wheezing, which would be related to some type of respiratory condition.

7. ChickenFanatic447

ChickenFanatic447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Oregon
    Sorry I can't be of much help, but as you said and a poster before me said, it is probably a respiratory infection.

After looking at previous threads with similar issues, I can confidently say that I believe she has gapeworm. It can cause a hiccup-like sound to occur sometimes and can be treated with a goat/sheep medicine known as valbezen which is harmless to chickens and works wonders on removing gapeworm. Hope she pulls through swimmingly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by