Help! 4 day old chick w/ puss and huge butt

doodledo

Crowing
16 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Dont know how else to explain it. I am not sure what it is. I cleaned her up and it seemed to be poop on here. SO I dont think she is constipated. But I am a newbie here and there is a huge lump and her butt has puss coming out. Just a little. I have her in a container by herself. Dont sure what to do. I did see where someone said mineral oil for something like this. But not sure what it is.
TIA

Can someone please help me. I have called everyone I can think of and the only response I got was maybe its just purtruding.

Is she a chick you hatched...if she is newly hatched, it could be the yolk being absorbed. It looks yellowish under the skin and protrudes slightly. If thay is what it is, as lang as it is staying "in there" I believe you should leave it alone. You dont want it to come out......

Sorry I could be of more help....

Thanks. I had someone come by today and look at it. Wether they know anything is beyond me! But he said she is constipated cause I had sawdust + peat moss down for bedding. He said they eat that and it causes constipation. Does this sound right to you?

That's certainly a possibility...a new chick should be on paper towels until it learns that the stuff in the bowl is what it's supposed to eat.
Is she peeping like she's in pain? Is she walking around or laying down alot? Is she drinking?
To help constipation, try giving the chick some molasses on a spoon, not lot maybe just a drop or two. Pus is usually yellowish like the yolk sas...I'd give her a couple of days and see how she does.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom