HELP!! 4 day old chicks received this morning, and one won't stop chirping at the top of his lungs!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaylabeans28, Mar 7, 2015.

1. kaylabeans28

kaylabeans28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    I have 4 Rhode Island Red Roosters that I got this morning in with my goslings to help keep them warm. I have separated them from the goslings, because the goslings keep running them over.. Every time I leave the room (in my basement) it starts to chirp its little head off. Hes eating and drinking on his own, but he just won't stop. I'm doing EVERYTHING right, but there must be something I'm doing wrong... Please, someone help!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    As long as he is eating and drinking, and is active like the other chicks, he will be fine. Just has a lot to say.

3. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    Well if he keeps it up my mom might freak out.. They're right under her room.. I pray he stops, and doesn't do it at night..

4. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Do you have a red bulb or white light? If you have a red bulb or better yet an eco glow or ceramic heat transmitter, they shouldn't make any noise at all at night. White bulbs are too bright to allow them to sleep soundly throughout the night.

5. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    I had a red bulb on them, but then he started to pant... I folded a beach towel in half and put it on the open part of the brooder to keep the heat in.. Our house is too warm for a heat lamp to have in there. I can try to rig one up so it doesnt make them overheat.. It's just really hard to tell if hes too hot or what his deal is..

6. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    With him being 4 days old and eating/drinking he is probably just a loud-mouth. There always seems to be one that can't shut up. Stress levels are higher in brooder chicks than in chicks raised by hens. Not a terrible thing but it's just how they are. I wouldn't worry about his health.

7. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    You could try a lower wattage bulb. I had to do that with the brooder in the house. I have a white light and they do quiet down a lot at night even with the white light.

8. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    Thank you! He's really feisty as well.. He pecks and bites me.

9. kaylabeans28

Feb 25, 2015
    Woodstock, IL
    I have a 100 watt bulb on them, and I will not go any lower with the wattage right now at their age.. You could I'm sure make a little mini "table" to mimic an eco glow warmer, and to make it dimmer. We thought that he just may not like that everyones sleeping and he wants everyone awake and playing around with him..

10. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    He may need some time to calm down from the long trip as well. I think he will once he realizes he is safe.
    I was thinking since it is a red light it was a 250 Watt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by