HELP! 4 days old and starts frantically scratching head...?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pusskatkins, Oct 23, 2010.

1. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Tonight, this healthy 4 day old began frantically scratching his head with both feet. He's peeping constantly, almost shrilling and I don't know what's wrong. He's not sneezing, coughing, hasn't has exposure to any other chickens to catch mites or diseases. The litter is paper towels, the food is non medicated/ start and grow, and the water is clean. His nostrils were examined and nothing is obstructed. The two other chicks with him had crippled feet that have now been repaired with band-aids.
    The chicks are normal, the behavior normal.
    What is this?

HE's tipping over too

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it her ears? Ear infection? Seems so young though.

3. pusskatkins

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:what should i do if it is? teramycin?

4. True Grit

Mine was on baytril for 3 weeks but baytril is somewhat controversial. There are vet techs on here who could maybe tell you for sure but I would think the teramycin couldn't hurt and it sure seems like the little one is in distress. I'm a newbie to chick antibiotics. Can you syringe it to her or does she have to drink it? Edited to add - I didn't notice but said he was tipping over - to me that says ear infection or at least something is making him dizzy so yes - antibiotics.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. pusskatkins

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    On Thursday, I changed their water fountain base with marbles to a quail base, which I thought was safer. Apparently, he was the only little one that didn't take. I forced him to take water and switched back to the regualr sized fount with the marbles and he seems fine again. I worry about those marbles. Honestly, if they were made in China, they may be lead in them. I bought them in Michael's last year and don't have the package.
    Everything is made in China these days, and mostly everything has been recalled and deemed dangerous. If I won't give it to myself, children or other pets, I won't give it to my chicks.

6. True Grit

Ya never know. I never used marbles for mine, mostly cuz I didn't know to do it. I'm glad your chick is better.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by