Help!!!4 month old cochin chick acting droopy, eyes closed not moving.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pampered Chicken, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. - Bantam Cochin, 4 months
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Not moving eyes closed
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Noticed today
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No injury
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No Idea
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - Not sure crop feels squishy like it's full of fluid
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - May be bloody
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing - not sure what to do
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use - Shaving with 10 other chicks

When I picked it up at one point some clear watery fluid came out of her mouth. I have corrid and duramyicin (sp) and electrolytes but I don't think she will drink anything.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. Pampered Chicken

Oct 25, 2009
    Made some electrolyte's and am boiling an egg. She sat up some but still doesn't move much. Pooped it was kinda loose and tan in color. I also have Vetrx I could try.

3. Pampered Chicken

Oct 25, 2009
    Well she's still hanging on but she hasn't moved. She didn't eat anything. I have no idea what to do.

4. Pampered Chicken

Oct 25, 2009
    Just checked on her and her crop still feels like it's full of water. Tried to get her to eat and when I tipped her down to drink fluid came out.

5. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

You might try vitamin B therapy. It couldnt hurt.

6. Pampered Chicken

Oct 25, 2009
    I have the baby vitamins without iron. Should I try that?

7. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Honestly, with a 4month old one I do a more intensive treatment. I used my high strength multiple B crushed and added to food and water. It sounds like you may have some trouble getting anything down him so you may as well use high potency. Baby formulas are not high enough in my opinion. Even if you have a one of your own multiple vits in high strength. I think I might use that over baby formula.

8. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Just read this about your cochin, and, I had a silkie who acted like this also, and had the mushy crop.
    Here's what I did, would do, which worked for me.
    I would try massaging her mushy crop a bit first, as long as she is okay with this, with a warming oil, followed by sugar-water & electrolytes. then get her to eat a little scrambled egg or yogurt with some starter grit, to try to move stuff through.
    Massage her in a clockwise motion right over the crop. You could warm some vegetable oil and add a little crushed mustard seed to it to make a warming massage oil that will stimulate digestion.
    If her crop empties out and she is hungry again, keep her isolated in a cage or area with paper towels, instead of wood chips, and feed her starter feed/eggs until she's perky again.
    If she's not perky in a couple days, there's something else going on,
    but massaging her for digestive sluggishness is always nice for her.

I hope this helps. It's just from my experience, not an attempt at diagnosis.
    I had two silkies that ate the wood shavings along with their food sometimes.

9. Pampered Chicken

Oct 25, 2009
    I've been reading and now I think it may be sour crop. so I'm going to try massaging the crop and empting it and then try the baking soda and water thing. Ugh!!! I hope I don't kill her.

10. Pampered Chicken

Oct 25, 2009
    Never mind she's dead!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] It always has to be a special one too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by