Help. 48 hr chick still hatching.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beana1225, Aug 21, 2008.

1. beana1225

beana1225 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Jackson
    Have a bantam egg that started hatching 36 to 48 hours ago. He got his beak out and stopped. He has been in the same position with no progress since this morning or last night. 12 to 24 hours ago. He has started panting like crazy. Or at least something that looks like panting. He has completely stopped chirping. He hasn't chirped since last night which would have been 12 to 24 hours after the first pip. Been watching so long can't remember what has happened when. Have to ask my hub or 8 yr old in the morning. She is my memory. Past 21 days. Should I at least help some??? He doesn't seem to be getting any bursts of energy. No condensation on the glass. Have the hb1602. Did everything it says about temp and water adding. Do not have a way to measure humidity. Can bet I have one by next hatch. Temp has been 99.5 to 100 the entire time. Please help. Had one hatch under momma that didn't make it 24 hours. It was a BO. This is my 6 year olds bantam. Happens to be one of three eggs. Second has started pips.

Who ever made the statement "A watched pot never boils" Apparently never tried to hatch chickens. Cause "A watched egg never hatches" Is much more to accurate.

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    That is definately too long. I think now it is time to help him.

3. spookykim

spookykim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Ohio
    keep us updated on how its doing please

4. beana1225

Aug 5, 2008
    Jackson
    O.k. Hubby went and moved some of it off the top of the chick. None around the bottom in case there was still some stuff he needed in there. He doesn't seem to be trying to sit up and get out at all. Not even pulling his head up. Think it would have to be humidity problems wouldn't it. I mean if everything else was right. That is all it could be. Well I shouldn't say that. Apparently hatching eggs isn't the easiest thing to do for the best of you guys. His/her name is Sammie. It was named by the 3 yr old. Thanks for your advise. I am worried.

5. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Definitely time to help out. If the membrane looks dried out, you can wet your finger and let some of the excess water moisten the membrane. Wait a fews seconds for it to soak in. Then start the process. I've done this a handful of times (with success). Good luck. [​IMG]

6. jessupfamily

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Quote:I guess I was posting at the same time as you.
    The ones that I helped out were exhausted! Some took 24 hours to really get up and at it. It may lay there for awhile. [​IMG]
    Blessings,
    Amy J.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    When they start breathing like that is when I help. Can you see the veins? If so are they fat or thin?
    Krista

8. beana1225

Aug 5, 2008
    Jackson
    O.k. Has been 10 or 15 mins since he removed the top circle of the egg. You are looking at its chest and bottom of its beak. It is panting like crazy. It is still wet down in the egg some. Looks like moisture in the egg not the problem I think. He could get move his head up at any time with a lil energy. I agree he is probably exhausted. He had gotten his beak out and the egg was cracked about 1/2 way around. But that has been like that for 24 hrs I know. That memory I have of before I went to bed last night. Cause I was so excited about him just popping out. HA. Will not open bator anymore unless something else happens. Going to screw up other two. I am guessing you did not mean helping by going ahead and getting him out? I thought that would have been more than I was suppose to do. Going to have to make appt with my GI doc.. These chickens are giving me ulcers. LOL

9. beana1225

Aug 5, 2008
    Jackson
    Quote:I can not see any veins. Just his chest. It is really red. He is just panting away. The shells we pulled off were perfect color. The one he busted looks very discolored. Almost like it has blood on it. Is that normal? Should I just try to pull his head upright? Feel like mother nature is going to slap me.

10. jessupfamily

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    I would help it out to the point of it being able to stretch and relax. But leave the very bottom of the egg alone (in case of yolk sac still needing to be absorbed). It will probably just lay on its side for a long while. But it should calm down and even chirp every once in a while. [​IMG]
    The shell coloring sounds fine (stained with a little blood is normal). His chest and bottom may look really red at first, when it starts drying out some it will look more "normal".

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by