Help! 4mo old hen unable to stand, maybe from moldy feed

Dart-frog

Chirping
Nov 26, 2019
Hi all,
I have a 4-month old cream legbar/bantam cross hen. I just bought a bag of scratch grain on Monday and when I went to scoop some today I found that it was very moldy. I obviously didn't feed it to the flock, however they did have it Monday, Tuesday, and yesterday while this mold was not visible. Today this young hen became unable to walk. I thought maybe she had an injury but I dont see any evidence of that. She pulls her right leg up into her body and her right wing is loose for support or balance possibly...? She has a healthy appetite and drinks water. I considered Mareks but I dont see a leg stretching forward, no discharge from the face at all and doesn't act disoriented... just acts like she has a broken leg...? I've supplemented water with probiotics. Was thinking of giving food with garlic. Any other suggestions? Epsom salt flush? Any medication to help? Thoughts on whether this is a symptom of food contamination? (Ps the rest of the flock also ate the food but no one else seems affected at this point, including her biological sisters from the same hatch.) Thanks for helping me. Love you guys.

Activated charcoal will absorb toxins. Buy it where they sell vitamins for people. Give two capsule directly into the beak right away, asap. Then one capsule a few hours later, and a last one at bedtime.

Activated charcoal will absorb toxins. Buy it where they sell vitamins for people. Give two capsule directly into the beak right away, asap. Then one capsule a few hours later, and a last one at bedtime.
Thank you so much!!! I will.

Just curious, does this sound like the kind of symptoms I'd see a day later from eating bad food? This poor girl... I really feel for her right now. :( I keep reading about Mareks but it just doesn't seem to fit her situation. This came on so quickly. Thank you again so much!

At her age Mareks could be a problem, but so could an injury. Time will tell. I would treat her for mold poisoning, but make sure that she can reach food and water. Make sure the others aren’t bullying her. Separate if necessary. Chicken sling chairs can be helpful when chickens cannot get up and walk. Here are some examples, especially in posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

At her age Mareks could be a problem, but so could an injury. Time will tell. I would treat her for mold poisoning, but make sure that she can reach food and water. Make sure the others aren’t bullying her. Separate if necessary. Chicken sling chairs can be helpful when chickens cannot get up and walk. Here are some examples, especially in posts 5, 11, and 12:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thank you so much!! I went ahead and separated her and gave her a comfortable place to rest in a box with food and water directly in front. She has accessed both. I gave her some feed mixed with boiled egg and a good amount of garlic sprinkled with a little Epsom salt. She pigged out on that and then within an hour she pooped an enormous amount but all looked healthy (not runny or anything) and then was immediately ready to stand up and gingerly walk around. I'm keeping her in and she's resting again, but the improvement I already saw was hopeful. Will continue to treat and keep you all posted. Still happy to get additional advice or experiences from anyone who has more knowledge than me!!!! Thanks again!!

PS- in addition to the garlic and probiotics, and the activated charcoal that was recommended, do you have any other suggestions for treatment?

If you suspect toxin poisoning, you'd best get on it right away. Time is critical and the window narrow for treatment to be effective. You've already wasted precious time.

If you suspect toxin poisoning, you'd best get on it right away. Time is critical and the window narrow for treatment to be effective. You've already wasted precious time.
I know you're looking out for my girl and I appreciate that so much, but please be kind re: wasting time- I acted immediately on your advice and already gave the first dose. Thanks again for being so supportive and for the willingness to take time to help a stranger, this group is wonderful in a time of need.

Back
Top Bottom