Help! 5 month pullet weak, not moving much

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Anniekb, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Anniekb

Anniekb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    Oregon
    I've got this pullet I just found in our coop - she's 5 months old, we've never had any sickness before - she's sitting down, not moving much. None of my pullets have started laying eggs yet and I checked to see if she might be egg-bound (her comb is still light pink)
    but I don't feel anything like an egg coming out. I do have a broad spectrum antibiotic drinking solution for all birds ( 4 fl ounces) sulfadimethoxine 15 mg. per ounce. She also does not have the "runs". I've isolated her. Her crop doesn't seem very full.

How much should I give her? Any thoughts? Everyone else is just fine, running around as usual.

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    What breed is your pullet?
    Has she started squatting when you approach her?

I would leave her in isolation with fresh food and water, maybe some vitamins and electrolytes. See if she will eat some yogurt mixed with her feed.

I wouldn't give drugs unless you have some symptoms.....

At 5 months, she may just be trying to get into the egg laying groove. I wouldn't think she would be egg bound.

3. Anniekb

Jul 26, 2008
    Oregon
    She's a Delaware, when I pick her up her legs go somewhat limp, and she closes her eyes. I do have some electrolytes and yogurt, can give her some of that. Her comb is light pink, not bright red, so I am suspecting that she is not quite yet mature to be laying - an asumption, of course.

4. Anniekb

Jul 26, 2008
    Oregon
    She's resting, and her eyes seem more alert, but she hasn't gone for the yogurt and layer pellets or water, COULD be the first egg?

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Can you make a little nest for her in the isolation area? Put a rock or golf ball in it. Watch to see if she goes to the nest. Let's hope it will be as easy as this......

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by