Help 5day chick sick

chirpchic

Hatching
Sep 18, 2016
It started last night. It was weak, but i dropper fed it all night long every 2 hours chicken pedialite. So better with that.. stands with eyes closed and keeps moving neck up and down and like panting.. white looking tongue. Just not right
1f623.png

Its only my second chick to hatch in a month HELP

It started last night. It was weak, but i dropper fed it all night long every 2 hours chicken pedialite. So better with that.. stands with eyes closed and keeps moving neck up and down and like panting.. white looking tongue. Just not right
1f623.png

Its only my second chick to hatch in a month HELP
If she constantly moves her head up and down and sort of does a little 'gasp' she could be dehydrated. Perhaps she couldn't find the waterer or other birds where picking on her. If the water quality isn't good they may not drink it, and, in most cases if the water is too hot they don't drink either. If this is the case you need to buy some electrolytes and dropper feed her every 10 minutes for about 2 hours.

Otherwise she may have avian encephalomyelitis (also known as Epidemic Tremor). During this disease, the chick is lethargic and rapidly moves its neck or head up and down. It is introduced to the flock if they are housed with an infected bird. It is spread through droppings and travels through the bloodstream, affecting nerves. This virus can affect any age. Cup the chic in your hands and turn her on her back - does her head/wings/legs tremble? The usual cause of death from epidemic tremor is paralyzation then inability to eat and drink. There is no cure, but sometimes the birds do survive and become immune to the virus though they are carriers. Adult birds that have had this virus may get a milky looking eye and become blind.

Another possibility is a condition called brooder pneumonia, called by the fungus, Aspergillosis. Chicks with this condition are lethargic and gasp for air. It is a result of inhaling mold spores. Aspergillosis can be found anywhere - food, water, bedding and the affected chick usually inhale the spores if they have been hatched in a unhygienic incubator. Plastic tote boxes easily harbor this mold so they don't make the best brooders. To prevent this condition from re occurring, improve brooder ventilation and overall cleanness of their pen. There isn't a very well known treatment for this.

Hopefully your chick pulls through.

Its alone in its own brooder. I just have 2 chicks. Its still alive laying lifeless breathing heavy
1f62d.png
. Not sure what happened but ive read several others with this same problem it seems to be what they do before dying.
Thank you very much for replying

Back
Top Bottom