HELP 6 day old chick loosing fuzz and not gaining weight.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joann, Jun 10, 2008.

1. joann

joann Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Brooksville
    I am unsure of breed, This one was part of an order 25 Heavy assoc. pullets. Weight unknown. He is acting fine a little on brave side. Eating well and drinking. Doesn't look as if he is getting picked on. It looks as if he is doing it himelf. 24 others don't have this. there is no bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. This one has been small from the begining. I haven't given him any treatment. I want to treat completely myself. The cage is an 1/2 in plwood with 1/2 by 1/2 wire. The chicks are about 2 inches off saw dust (no cedar).

Can any one advise on what to do?

thanks Joann

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I'd try giving him some polyvisol drops and maybe get some of the avian electrolytes to put in the water. It looks like something nutritional...or maybe mites??

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    what kind of saw dust?
    where does it come from and what woods are in it?

4. joann

joann Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Brooksville
    poplar, maple, oak... whatever we run through the shop...

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Saw dust is to fine as a rule for chicks. They eat or try to eat everything in sight. The dust could be blocking up the chicks sytem. Try going with either pine chips or straw and see what happens. You might even need to go with striaght aper until the chick is a little bigger. It could be just the chick.

6. joann

joann Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Brooksville
    The cage is an 1/2 in plwood with 1/2 by 1/2 wire. The chicks are about 2 inches off saw dust (no cedar).

They are not in the dust and cann't eat it either, 2" above . but I will keep that in mind thanks

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Joann, sent you a PM back. Those are not Barred Rock chicks. Wish I could tell you what the problem was, never saw patchy fuzz like that, but some do feather out slowly and lose fuzz faster than they get feathers. I'd supplement their chick starter with chopped hardboiled eggs for extra animal protein, and give some to them every day for awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by