Help! 6 month old Pekin can not walk?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jen7702, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Jen7702

Jen7702 New Egg

Oct 7, 2012
    Hi there.... I am in need of some advice. I have a 6 month old Pekin duck that came up lame about a week ago. We fist thought maybe a broken leg but after checking her legs which seemed fine we thought maybe egg bound. We soaked her in warm water and put her in a humid kennel over night, she layed the egg and has layed 2 more since. She still can not walk. She tries, but she falls over forward and has to use her bill to catch herself...she also falls backward on he heels of her feet and sideways and uses her wings to catch herself. We have no idea what is wrong with her, she is still quacking, bright eyed and eating and drinking. She can also swim just fine, but I have to go and help her out of the pond. Any suggestions or advice?

2. Wokawidget

Wokawidget Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    My Campbell had something a month or so ago, similar to what you've explain.
    I thought she was really injured...but no visible signs of injury.

I brought her inside and gave her a nice hot bath. For two days she was pampered while sitting on the sofa and then she was back to her quacky self.
    I think she fell and twisted her leg...but cannot say for sure.

Woka

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to the forum, Jen7702,

Warm baths are good, so are additional vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics. She is a little old for niacin deficiency problems, but since it is related to lameness and neurological problems, I would not completely rule that out.

Sometimes botulism presents as staggering and lacking coordination and strength, but I don't think that is necessarily what you have here.

I hope someone else has some good ideas.

4. Jen7702

Jen7702 New Egg

Oct 7, 2012
    THanks Woka and Amiga.... I have been giving her warm baths, probiotics and I tried to give her some banana and she HATED it....lol. She can not come in the house due to 6 very eager dogs whom may want to play a little rougher than she would like. But, she is in a dog kennel in the barn atop some very soft hay with her water and food. She has been like this for a week and I am not sure what else to do... other than the falling over, she is acting fine. This morning I resorted to giving her 1/2cc LA200... this poor little girl looks so pitiful and my heart is breaking not knowing what to do for her.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I really don't have anything to add to what the others have said except for the vitamins and rest. But you said you have to help her out of the pond which I hope means you are there when she is in it, because if she can't get out on her own and got tired she could possibly drown. It happened to another OP duck several months back. Hoping she gets over what ever this is. [​IMG] Nutri Drench has Niacin in it so that maybe something to look into for nutritional support right now.

6. Jen7702

Jen7702 New Egg

Oct 7, 2012
    Thanks, i will go on a hunt for the Nurti Drench. She is still not well this morning. [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You can buy it online and at TSC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by