HELP! 6 week old campine chick sick--what is it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SPRING CREEK FARM, May 13, 2010.

1. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    I have 29 golden campines brooded together in a very large brooder in my basement; they were purchased from Murray McMurray hatchery. I had them vacinated for Marek's at the hatchery. They will be 6 weeks old on Saturday. Feeding them medicated chick starter and putting vitamins/electrolytes in their water. Cleaning brooder every other day. Last night upon checking on them at bedtime, they were all doing very well. I am weaning them off the heat lamp to prepare them for moving into the nursery pen/coop this weekend. They have been off the heat lamp for nearly 3 days now. High temps here in the day currently about 85 degrees; lows at about 65 degrees. They have not been outdoors yet and we keep the basement a good temperature, maintains a constant of at least 70 degrees. This morning while getting ready for work, I heard an odd little cry from time to time over the course of about 15 minutes, trying to figure out what it was (we have peafowl and pheasants in a large coop/pen outdoors and they make some strange sounds sometimes!) or maybe it was my little dog that was in the pen in the den downstairs? I wondered what the noise could be and it suddenly dawned on me that it could be my campines! I rushed downstairs and went to their brooder and talking softly to them, got them all to move around the brooder so that I could count heads, thinking that maybe one of them had managed to get out of the brooder somehow and wanted back in. But, no; there was one little hen lying on her side and when I reached in to touch her, she cried out again; very weak, and the most noticeable thing is that her comb was a bleached looking almost white color! I looked over all the rest of them, all seemed quite energetic as usual and none seeming to be lethargic or showing the same pale white comb as the sickly one. After moving her into the brooder to herself, she had a very clear liquid bowel movement that was white in the center, almost foamy looking. What could it be? Is is possible that she somehow ended up on the bottom of a pile of them and nearly suffocated? Their brooder is very large yet they will at times tend to gather together in a small bunch, I find that they do this most of the time when I first go downstairs to attend to them. The temps are good, so I don't think that they are getting cold...I had to leave for work and was a bit late at that. I did put her in a small clean brooder with fresh water and fresh feed; I hated to have to leave her and hope she will still be living when I get home. What should I do? [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I wish I could help, but I really have no idea. Is it possible that this one is lowest in the pecking order, and has been puched away from the feeder and waterer? Possibly it will gain strength away from the main group. If it is doing ok, maybe put a friend in with it.

3. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] I just got settled and got back online; I had already done what you suggested, I put a friend in with the little hen. She did seem better and more "peppy" when I got home this evening. Seemed lonesome, so I decided to put another hen in with her, one of her hatch-mates. Thanks for the concern and the suggestion; hopefully she will pull out of it and none of the others will become sickly. I scrambled them all some egg this evening, first time I have ever given them a treat; they have only had their medicated starter up to this point. They all scarfed the egg right down and seemed to enjoy it. I just cannot figure out why the comb is so pale, almost white-looking. I have started putting sulmet in their drinking water, hope that will help and not hurt. I want her to pull out of it and get better before I consider trying to worm them all. Like I said earlier, they have never even been outside at all and I keep their brooder clean along with their waterers and feeders. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by