Help 6 week old Sicilian buttercup

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickLizzie, May 5, 2017.

1. ChickLizzie

ChickLizzie Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    I moved my brooder with my 11 chicks onto my covered screened in porch last night. It was 48° last night they still have the heat lamp on them and are protected from any drafts. I found one of my buttercups laying on her side away from the others. She won't stand and shes shaking. She keeps closing her eyes as I hold her. Do you think she got to cold?? What should I do????

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    At 6 weeks if it was weaned off the heat---it shouldn't have. Now if you been keeping the heat high and just cut it off and put them in 40 degree weather---that can be "ruff" on them. Sometimes when it get cold and they are not use to it---they will pile up and one or more can get smothered----I do not know what happen---so I am pointing out a few things.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. ChickLizzie

ChickLizzie Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    It was 56 in the basement where I moved them from. And they had the heat lamp at the same level as it is now.

4. ChickLizzie

ChickLizzie Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    Everyone else is fine. She is eating and I'm giving her water with a dropper still won't stand

1 person likes this.
  5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OOOOOh so they still got the heat lamp---I missed that part?? As long as it was set right(not to hot)---moving them should not have effected anything. Mine are off the heat before 6 weeks? How is the chick doing??

6. ChickLizzie

ChickLizzie Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    She's a bit more lively just can't stand. Should o get her some vitamins?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by