HELP - 7 Degree Nights in NWGA next week

GAFarmGirl87

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
NW Georgia
I live in NWGA, where we don't get many nights that get below freezing, and when they do, usually not below 20 degrees. During the cold season I've been bringing in my four 1-gal waterers inside at night. I wash them and then fill them up with warm water in the mornings before taking them back outside.

So far, not a problem.

However, next week (Monday 1/6/14 & Tuesday 1/7/14), it's predicted to get to 7 degrees at night, with a high only in the mid-20's - That's 2 days without the temperatures getting above freezing. My current plan will not keep the water from freezing those 2 days.

Running power to my pens is not an option.

How can I keep the water from freezing without cords running to the coops?? Also, will my chickens survive 2 days with these temperatures, especially considering they are not used to it?? Would some hay be adequate enough to help keep them warm?

Thanks in advance!

This is my setup - I've got 3 separate pens, each with shelter, though the shelters are not insulated or even all the way closed.

I live in NWGA, where we don't get many nights that get below freezing, and when they do, usually not below 20 degrees. During the cold season I've been bringing in my four 1-gal waterers inside at night. I wash them and then fill them up with warm water in the mornings before taking them back outside.

So far, not a problem.

However, next week (Monday 1/6/14 & Tuesday 1/7/14), it's predicted to get to 7 degrees at night, with a high only in the mid-20's - That's 2 days without the temperatures getting above freezing. My current plan will not keep the water from freezing those 2 days.

Running power to my pens is not an option.

How can I keep the water from freezing without cords running to the coops?? Also, will my chickens survive 2 days with these temperatures, especially considering they are not used to it?? Would some hay be adequate enough to help keep them warm?

Thanks in advance!

This is my setup - I've got 3 separate pens, each with shelter, though the shelters are not insulated or even all the way closed.

I would recommend posting this in the "Emergencies" thread and then you should get a fast reply from someone knowledgeble.
wink.png
Good luck!
smile.png

Warm water will freeze faster from what I have read. It has to do with the molecules being closer together. Put out cold water and it will take longer to freeze. When it is below freezing I water at least 2 times per day and put a low shallow dish into the coop at night. I have found that the coop stays above freezing. Hay is a good insulator and chickens body temperature are106 degrees. I have read that one chicken throws off the heat of a 10 watt bulb, so 10 chickens would equal 100 watts (not sure how this was measured :)) I also worry about my chickens being cold! I added thick areas of hay outside where they can sit and get out of the snow and deep layers of shavings and hay in the coops for added insulation. Keep feed available at all times because they need the food to keep warm. Good luck!

Warm water will freeze faster from what I have read. It has to do with the molecules being closer together. Put out cold water and it will take longer to freeze. When it is below freezing I water at least 2 times per day and put a low shallow dish into the coop at night. I have found that the coop stays above freezing. Hay is a good insulator and chickens body temperature are106 degrees. I have read that one chicken throws off the heat of a 10 watt bulb, so 10 chickens would equal 100 watts (not sure how this was measured :)) I also worry about my chickens being cold! I added thick areas of hay outside where they can sit and get out of the snow and deep layers of shavings and hay in the coops for added insulation. Keep feed available at all times because they need the food to keep warm. Good luck!

Wow! That's a lot of heat coming from each chicken. They seemed to be good today. It was 20 last night here, and barely got above freezing at the highest point today. I'm just concerned seeing as my "coops" aren't good protection against the cold. I'm hoping to get some hay this weekend, and hoping that will be enough.

Back
Top Bottom