HELP!! - 7 Degrees in NW Georgia!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GAFarmGirl87, Jan 3, 2014.

1. GAFarmGirl87

GAFarmGirl87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia
    I posted this somewhere else, and was told to try it here...

I live in NWGA, where we don't get many nights that get below freezing, and when they do, usually not below 20 degrees. During the cold season I've been bringing in my four 1-gal waterers inside at night. I wash them and then fill them up with warm water in the mornings before taking them back outside.

So far, not a problem.

However, next week (Monday 1/6/14 & Tuesday 1/7/14), it's predicted to get to 7 degrees at night, with a high only in the mid-20's - That's 2 days without the temperatures getting above freezing. My current plan will not keep the water from freezing those 2 days.

Running power to my pens is not an option.

How can I keep the water from freezing without cords running to the coops?? Also, will my chickens survive 2 days with these temperatures, especially considering they are not used to it?? Would some hay be adequate enough to help keep them warm?

Thanks in advance!

This is my setup - I've got 3 separate pens, each with shelter, though the shelters are not insulated or even all the way closed.
    There are 13 chickens in the first pen, 6 chickens in the middle pen, and 12 chickens in the third pen. Each pen has a rooster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I'm sorry if this may not be the best advice, but I will try! This is what I do. If your chickens stay together they will keep each other warm. Do you have metal roosts? I suggest you look into a wood or plastic roost. Metal sucks the heat out of their feet. That is a big problem with bantams. But is you have large, heavyset birds with lots of feathers they will be warmer.

With your water, that is very tricky. You might have to bring them In at night and fill is with very warm water. Not hot, but warmer than usual. I really hope this helps.

3. GAFarmGirl87

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Thanks for the advice! [​IMG] I already have wood roosts (2x4s), so we're good to go there. My chickens range from small to medium sized. I don't have any really large chickens. But they stopped molting around Thanksgiving, and it looks like they all have plenty of feathers, so that's good.

I've been bringing in the waterers at night & taking them out in the mornings. But won't the water freeze being in sub-freezing temps all day? Maybe if I just change out the water again mid-day, that will keep it from freezing?

4. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    You're welcome!

About your water, I'm afraid that's the best you could do, what you suggested. I have an electric waterer, so I don't have that problem. Sorry:/. But I think you should give your idea a try!

5. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We, too, usually have mild winters. We are supposed to have very, very cold days below freezing as well. I have a very small flock, but purchased a 5 gallon waterer. (During the summer, it stays cool longer - and during freezing weather, it stays liquid) This has really been great for our weather extremes.

1 person likes this.
  6. GAFarmGirl87

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Bought the hay last night and spread it out. And I used extension cords to run a single flood light to each roost. I will turn them on only tomorrow night & maybe Tuesday night, when temps will be hovering near zero.

By the way, I had a big accident today when putting vaseline on my roosters combs. I had to catch them, and one rooster broke one of his spurs in the process. Poor baby. He had all the hens tending to his booboo. And then he scraped his comb in the dirt till he about got all the vaseline off. SMH.

7. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Great idea[​IMG] sounds like you have it all figured out!

Poor rooster! And naughty rooster! ;) I use Vaseline too, for combs and wattles.

8. muddyfeathers

muddyfeathers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Arkansas
    Wow! I'm impressed this front is making it that far south. Im in NW Arkansas and I don't ever recall seeing it forecasted to be below zero before. I havent had any birds act or sound ill but they surely cant be too happy as most never left the coop.
    Straw or hay can be great during these times and when its single digits outside your water will freeze in under 3 hours. If possible, you could try and put the light over the water to see if by chance it might prevent it...worth a shot.

9. Viollettt

Viollettt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2013
    West Central Georgia
    Hey there. I saw your other post in the GA thread and just saw this one. Sounds like you are doing great keeping them warmer. For the future I wanted to tell you I don't buy any hay/straw anymore. I just use all the leaves I can get from my trees and others raked up leaves. I got lucky this week because someone left a truckload of them across the street from me. My husband and I spent 3 hours yesterday getting them all. We spread them out all over their run. They are so happy with those leaves. I use the deep litter method anyway and just keep adding to it. It's like a very thick carpet. Warm and soft.

1 person likes this.
  10. GAFarmGirl87

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia

Thats a great idea! I'll have to try that next time.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by