Help?? 7 month old Silver Wyandotte! Moving very slowly

Hen Palace

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 7, 2015
Please help I have a 7 month old hen who has not started laying yet but should be soon as her sister has. She has suddenly been moving very slow I pick her up and she is very thin. I don't know what could be wrong with her. I have them on Corid in case it is coccidiosis. I do have them on Wormguard Plus I mix with their food. She eating but very little walks very slowly and will not pearch at night anymore just lays on the floor. Her vent is clear. I have tried everything I can think of I have sprayed her with poultry protector for mites but I am worried, any advice someone can give me would be appreciated.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Do you think she could be being bullied out of food? This could explain her being thin. Cocci and worms could also cause weight loss so you have done the right thing treating for these in the first instance. Have you checked out her poop? What does it look like?
You could seperate her incase this something contagious and start trying to feed her up. Scrambled or boiled chopped egg is good. Lots of protein and Vits and minerals are in them and are great for when you have an off colour bird. Tuna also works well into tempting them to eat.
Please do post in the emergencies injuries disease and cure section too for further help with her.

Wishing you the very best of luck, I hope she is well again soon :fl

Thank you everyone for the replies I really appreciate it. Wish I could find a local vet that would see chickens have not found one yet. I will keep what I am doing I made a mash out of her food added some honey she ate a little but not much. Seems like all of my chickens seem skinny. I feed them Dumar grower and layer but cannot fatten them up. They get oatmeal, yogurt, corn and several veggies daily. Just seem skinny. But she seems very weak. I watched her today with the younger flock and she rules over them when she is eating she pecks them and they move so I don't think she is at the bottom of the food line. Will keep trying to get her health again. Thank you again everyone!:):jumpy

welcome-byc.gif

Yorkshire coop has given you some good advice, hope it helps.

You probably ought to cut back on the treats for everyone. You want your birds to eat a well-balance nutritional feed and fill up on that. Treats like oatmeal, corn, etc. are ok but shouldn't make up more than 10% of their daily intake. It's sort of like if we filled up mostly on candy and potato chips, we wouldn't be the healthiest either.

Good luck to you, hope everything works out for your girl.

You need an accurate diagnosis. They may be getting treated for things they don't even have- all meds have side efforts that could be making them weaker rather than helping. Have you checked them well for lice/mites, which can be debilitating in large numbers, or over time. If you are worming for the wrong kind of worms that is no help either. Are they getting enough to eat, or just gobbling up the treat items?

Has she been laying eggs and then stopped? If so maybe she is eggbound, or has other internal issues.

Back
Top Bottom