Help! 7 week old chicken unable to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LynnMarie, Mar 21, 2013.

1. LynnMarie

LynnMarie Out Of The Brooder

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me understand what is wrong with my 7 week old Sicilian Buttercup.

This morning when we let all the girls out of the coop into the run, this chicken came out trying to walk, mostly flopping around with her wings and then falling over. Her legs don't seem to be working. When I picked her up, her feet where curling and she was unable to straighten them out to sit properly. I went to check on her after a while and she was hiding under the coop ramp. I bought her on to the porch in an old basket. Now, she is sitting with her legs sticking straight out in front of her body, like unable to tuck them up underneath.

I put some food infront of her and she is eating a bit, I havn't seen her poo yet. We are feeding our chickens "start and grow" from the feed store and also left over house veggies, like lettuce and boiled potatoes. All the other chickens, around the same age, seem to be fine.

At first we thought that maybe she hurt herself, fell from the roost or got her foot caught. But I can't find any wounds. I have been reading back posts to try to find something similar. Could this be Marek's disease? I called the feed store where we bought them, and they informed me that only the parents are vaccinated at the hatchery from diseases. I didn't realise we needed to vaccinate the baby chicks. Had I known. . .sigh. I am going to the feed store now to buy vitamins and antibiotics.

I would appreciate any feedback, and if you guys have any similar situations to my young chicken.

Thanks,

Lynn

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    could be merke's, if so antibiotics won't help, merke's is a viral disease that is know to cause neurological sympthoms. I have had some good luck with giving them vitamin B!2 and vitamin E in the water for two weeks. Vit. B12 is very good for the nervous system. I had a hen suddenly unable to walk, get back to normal in two weeks, may be worth a try

3. LynnMarie

B12 like in the vitamins we take, or special chicken vitamins?

I have B50, is that okay to use if I crush it up and put it in her water? Should I also give it to the rest of the flock?

I am giving her terra-vet 10 and a vitamin/electrolyte mix for animals, which does have a bit of b12 in it.

Yesterday, my poor baby chicken couldn't stand at all. this evening, she is standing if i lift her up, but falls over as soon as she moves.

Her poo doesn't have any blood in it and looks normal. I did find a really big thick dropping. Is is possible for her to be constipated, would that cause problems?

Anyone else have any ideas??

4. LynnMarie

Also, is it too late to vacinate the rest of my chickens, they are all between 6 and 8 weeks old.

5. CHICn Little

CHICn Little New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    I had a chicken around this age that did the same thing. Try to feed them watered down yogurt. If it continues to not eat or drink it could be mereks. Thats what my chick had. I'm sorry. :(

6. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    I gave mine human vitamins, I got the liquid form of B12 and some vit. E in an oil capsule which I cut open and dripped some into the water. Don't give the vit. E everyday, but the B vitamins they can get everyday

7. horselover10001

horselover10001 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    My baby had the same thing. There are splints avalibale if it is a break but i kept mine under a light! Hope this helps!!

8. LynnMarie

Thanks so much for the advice!!

After three days, she is doing much better, starting to stand and walk a bit, but very wobbly. I am so relieved!!!

I am going to start putting B vitamins in the water of all my other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by