Help! 8 week old pigs castrated today

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BarnyardChaos, Jun 27, 2017.

1. BarnyardChaos

BarnyardChaos In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2017
    Richmond, MO
    We received five 8-week-old piglets today, and had all five castrated at the vet. One of them is still seeping blood 8 hours later. Not gushing or running, just seeping - but enough to wet his legs and attract flies, found a little on the grass where he was laying. The vet isn't answering his phone. Is this somewhat normal (clotting taking so long), or will we wake up to a dead pig?

We have him and his brothers locked into a pig shed tonight with plenty of hay. Hoping he'll be alright.

Second, they haven't taken any pellets today - just grazing and rooting. They'd been in a dirt-bare pen all their young lives, fed on pellets. When we brought them home from the vet, we turned them loose in a run with plenty of tall grass - and they've had a bonanza. Can they get sick on too much green grass all at once?

Third, curious how to treat for constipation if this develops. I've heard of giving them canned pumpkin or putting some mineral oil on their food. Any other ideas?

2. Farmgal101

Farmgal101 Songster

May 29, 2017
    put there legs in water and Epsom salt to clean it up

3. BarnyardChaos

BarnyardChaos In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2017
    Richmond, MO
    I would, to keep flies off - but not this late and they're locked up for the night. Also, I don't want to excite or stress him (they're pretty wild) - could cause the bleeding to worsen. Hopefully, he's clotted by morning and the blood will dry and flake off. I'll check the wound in a day or two if he survives and I can catch him, and make sure no maggots. Thank you for your reply, though.

Farmgal101 likes this.
  4. Farmgal101

Farmgal101 Songster

May 29, 2017
    if they end up with maggots i would use Epsom salt

5. cassie

cassie Crowing

Mar 19, 2009
    You can get a wound spray at the livestock supply to kill maggots and repel flies. You would be wise to get some and spray all of the piglets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: