HELP! 8wk chick not doing well...lethargic, wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greytmommy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    I have 5 baby chicks that are now about 8wks old. We moved them outside to the coop (with a heat light) about 2wks ago. One of the hens adopted them and has been looking out for them.

The weather took a shocking cold snap earlier than expected. My light went out last night (I didnt realize it) and this morning the temp was 19 when I woke up.

The other chicks are fine. They came out when I opened the coop, scratching around, following "mama". this one chick was sitting all alone, puffed up, eyes closed. I thought she was getting too cold. I put her in my coat for a while during my work.

She still seems lethargic, so I brought her inside to let her warm up for a while. She is currently wrapped up in a towel on my lap. Her eyes are still closed, she is peeping occasionally. I heard some mild wheezing while she was breathing, but it is more intermittent.

What do I need to do for her? Is there anything I can do but warm her up? make her some scrambled eggs?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She might just be lethargic because she is cold. Put her beneath a heat lamp to warm up, and give her some electrolytes and probiotics if you have some. The wheezing might be because she has a mild respiratory disease, or it could be caused by dusty litter or stress. She would probably like some scrambled eggs.

3. greytmommy

Mar 26, 2011
    ok. i dont have any electrolyes currently on hand (all out).

She is still in my lap, and she is starting to move around more, and I am hearing a lot more peeping. I might move her to a box w/ a heat lamp soon.

I can go pick up some electrolytes soon and I will scramble her an egg in a bit.

poor baby....

4. greytmommy

Mar 26, 2011
    ok, chick is a LOT better.

She must have just been that cold. She is alert, she ate her scrambled egg and drank some water. I fixed the heat lamp in the coop, so I have returned her to the coop. I watched her, and she hopped up on the low roost (close to the heat) and saw her huddle up with the other chicks.

I will check on her again tomorrow, and keep an eye on her for a while.

Looks like she just got chilled, but she should be fine now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by