Help a baby Robin fell out of it's next What do we do???

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ginbart, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    MY DH was cutting some weeds around the grape vines and knocked a Robins nest. A baby bird fell out we tried to put it back but it kept falling out. It’s now in the house in a bird cage. It has all it’s feathers and looks like it only about a week from flying. I need help in what to feed it besides worms.

Should we cut up the worms and put down it's throat????
    Can anyone help us?

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    If it has all it's feathers just put it on the ground near the nest, unless you have dogs in the yard or something. If you have a basket you can tie up off the ground, just put the baby in the basket and string the basket up. Momma bird will still feed it as long as she can find it.

Momma-bird knows best.

-Kim

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ditto above post.
    Thanks for wanting to help the little munchkin.
    JJ

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  4. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I was told once you touch them the moma will not come back and we do have dogs but she just smelled it. I will try that because I would rather let nature take its course. How long should I leave it there before I should worry. It she doesn’t come back by tonight should I bring it back in?

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    That is a myth.

6. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Ok we found the nest. DH put it back in but we found another one on the ground. Every time we put one in another one falls out. I made DH wear gloves this time. We are just going to leave them alone and see what happens. Thanks

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That you touched the babies will not matter. It's one of those "Old Wives Tales" that is not true.
    If mama doesn't come back by tonight I might be inclined to bring them in for the night. If you can keep a close eye till nightfall that would be great - mom may be quite subtle in her approach. Did the babies that fell sustain any injuries or do you think they are okay?
    A shallow basket that could better hold the babies may avoid that continuous falling out problem! They must be pretty ready to fledge if they are spillling out! (which is good news actually)
    Is there a wildlife rehab center near you in case mama doesn't come back? If not, you can call one or more of them and I'm sure they'd talk you through how to help the baby on your own. A major center, for example, is the Tri-State Rescue and Research Center in Delaware. They have a great website.
    JJ

Edited to take into account your newest post.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    There is a lady in the next town that I know raised robins when something happened to their mom.

The mommy bird was flying over DH when he was trying to put it back in the vine the first time.

The second time we found one about 100 feet from the nest.

I hate it when things happen like this.

When he found the nest there were more babies in it. So I hope it stays in this time. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I still made him wear gloves but I'm glad to hear It's one of those "Old Wives Tales" that is not true.

thanks for your help.

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    If they keep falling out, I think it's time for them to learn to fly. Just let them be and watch from a distance. If they won't stay in the nest, then they weren't meant to stay in the nest. Especially if momma-bird was trying to run you guys off.

It'll be okay. Watch from a distance, I bet momma will feed 'em once your done worrying her. [​IMG]

If they're fully feathered it's about time for them to take to their wings.

-Kim

10. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Excellent - glad to hear mom is present and accounted for. Given that, again ditto the above post!!!!
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by