Help! A couple of the girls are bleeding from their behinds!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Onlyimpressive, Jan 29, 2013.

1. HI All... I came home today to find one of the girls bleeding, really bleeding from her behind... It doesnt look like its from the vent... after examining the others (i have 16) I noticed that 2 others are doing the same, but not as bad... I took the two worse out of the coop and separated them...
    What should I do?? and what is causing it??

I also noticed that they are pecking their behinds to, anything I can do for that?

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Sounds like you got feather pickers.you need to get some blu-kote on them t
    ,if they see blood they will peck them to death.you need to find who is doing it and remove them.try adding more protein to there diet'some dry catfood would help'black oil sunflower seeds to. Get a flock block 'they may be board.hope this helps

3. Okay thanks... but the blood looks like it is coming from their rectum... , not just from being pecked...

4. Ok, I was finally able to bring her in and clean her up... it does look like she is being pecked... the skin/part right above her vent, is raw [​IMG] I feel so bad for her... I kept filling up a washcloth with warm water and let it run over it.. she was really relaxed and almost fell asleep, so it must have felt good. I dried her up and put her back in the dog crate...
    I will DEFINITELY be buying some blu-kote and keep her separate..

I will buy some flock block to... as I do think they are bored... its winter here and has been cold, and snowy... some days they will go out in the snow, but not usually, so I do think they get bored... And I haven't had a problem with them pecking each other before (they are 9 months old)

5. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I would get some cheap dry cat food and throw that in often as they may need the extra protein right now.Mine will go out only if I put straw down to them,they hate walking on the snowThe blu-kote will cover the red and she should be fine,but keep a close eye on her when you put her back and if you can keep her where they can still see her so she won`t have to be reintraduced to the flock.I had a couple that had prolapse and the blu-kote worked great hiding the red swollen area.I also have hung cabbage with stings from the ceiling in my coops to help with the boredom in the winter,anything you can think of for them to do to keep them from picking one another..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by