Help a lonely duckling, please.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sadlm2, Sep 19, 2016.

1. sadlm2

sadlm2 New Egg

May 1, 2012
    I have one black swedish duckling about 2 weeks old in a clear plastic brooder as well as 8 chicks of various breeds also 2 weeks old but separated in an adjacent brooder....(While they're little, I keep the brooders in the house so I can keep a close watch on them)..the darling duckling always seems to have his "nose"pressed up against the "window", longing to be with the others..(they can't be together as the chicks get medicated mash) ..it's making me so sad..I've been on the internet for hours trying to find another duckling of similar age that I could purchase or adopt but all I can find are hatcheries which will take too long to get the additional friends here..SO>>>>
    2 questions: am I projecting too much and is the duckling really saying to himself "glad I have a house to myself!"?
    Is there anyone out there in the Southern California (Los Angeles) area who has any leads on late summer ducklings? Most any breed is welcome but I do have 2 female moscovies who are in the main duck area and where I'm hoping this duckling will go.

Thanks so much for any guidance/help you can provide

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Can you transplant a couple chicks to the duckling side for socializing and then put them back when they eat?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Unbreakable mirrors can help the duckling feel less alone.

Have you asked on the Southern California thread on the Where Am I Where Are You forum? I think there is a So-Cal thread. Anyway, I would check that forum for a thread near you.

4. sadlm2

sadlm2 New Egg

May 1, 2012
    Amiga & Redsox, thanks so much for your kind responses.....I'll get the mirrors today... but as we all know, nothing beats a warm body and someone to play with.....I actually thought about putting a chick or two in with my sweet little duck but I was worried about the chicks then not getting the medicated mash - but you're right ,Redsox, if the chicks go back & forth, they can still get some of the medicated mash..

Again, I appreciate your time.

5. sadlm2

sadlm2 New Egg

May 1, 2012
    I just went to the SoCal where am I where are you thread ! ThanKs so much!

When I first started with my flock about 15 or 20 years ago, there was so little out there - I had to do alot of improvising....but I loved it...when my Mom was alive, I took her to the Grand National in Ohio...it was amazing! One of our most fun memories

1 person likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

7. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2016
    Seems like these baby birds would always appreciate another "thing" with them. I even had one baby chick that would cozy up to my adult quail. They were adults but they were about the same size as the baby chick, however that didn't stop him from trying to get under their body to feel safe and warm. Eventually he found a female quail that actually didn't mind it so she actually stayed still while he would rest under her or near her.

Agree with the suggestion that you might put in a chick or two with the duck. Try to pick one that you can tell which one it is, so that it's the same one that goes in with the duckling every time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by