Help, a lost new goat owner needs HELP - updated (with PICS)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by OHMYCHICKIES, May 3, 2009.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Okay, I thought I was ready. I brought my babies home. They are 3 months old. The 2 boys I have are doing great, not crying. The 2 girls are crying. They have shelter and I wonder if they'll even go in there. It's dark outside and they are still at it, will they do it all night? The boys are in a separate pen.

Do I do something different so they quite crying?

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    You are going to have to go out and sleep in the pen.[​IMG]

3. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Goats want attention. They are attention hogs, and these ones are probably missing their mom. If you want, give them a treat to get them inside. Otherwise, ignore them, they'll be happier in the morning, especially when you bring food. You may want to check and make sure everythings alright, otherwise good luck, and have fun with your new goats!

4. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Quote:It is prob b/c they are in a new place and you separated them from the boys. You might try feeding them a little bit or at least giving them some hay. To help keep their minds off of the new place. Animal Crackers also work great for treats [​IMG]

If they weren't weaned off of momma yet, then that is another issue. [​IMG] Congrats on the new babies.

5. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    i have had goats for years and i do NOT seperate them. You can seperate the boys from girls at sexual maturity(if they are related), or have the boys fixed, i would also put them in at night so they feel comforted and safe. Im wondeing if they are completely weaned also, my girls dont usually wean theirs until like 4 months. keep us posted!

6. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    Thanks ya'll, you guys are great. From what the previous owner told me, the mom weaned the girls 2 weeks ago. My daughter goes out there and they are quiet. I'm worried if I go out there and give them a treat to go in the shelter, they'll follow me to the fence and cry louder. They do have a treat and hay out by the shelter.

Also, the previous owner did have the girls separated from the boys already. The girls, one in particular was really wanting out of the fence. Surprising the boys are doing wonderful, quiet as can be.

7. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    they miss their mommy. I bet they were not weaned, just taken away, I wean mine at 4 months, and do it gradually.
    you will have to just sleep in the barn with them or bring them in the house! LOL!
    Just make sure they have hay to nibble on and offer them feed, but not too much, have they had their shots?
    They can overeat in a heartbeat and it is not good.. can be fatal.
    good luck, just try to give them lots of attention, maybe a radio in the barn and a nice place to sleep. I have a little plastic dog house mine go in, makes them feel secure to be in something or under something.
    I would also not leave them outside, they should be locked up or penned up so they will feel secure...and keep them safe.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  8. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    also you need to post pictures, you can't just tell us about your cute little babies and leave us hanging with no pics!!!!

9. OHMYCHICKIES

May 28, 2008
    okay, I got some pics - but this was from the prev. owner because I just got them home today and haven't had time to take new pics

girl
    [​IMG]

buck
    [​IMG]

wether
    [​IMG]

the other girl pic is like the wether coloring but can't really see her in the pic

10. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    they are so cute! once the girls settle down they will be so much fun! our babies keep trying to come in the house, we have 15 babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by