Help a new mom with telling the sex of the chicks please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicks9, May 7, 2008.

1. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Okay please do not laugh at me but can someone please explain the wing feather test to tell roo's from hens on 3 1/2 week old supposed to be pullets but I am starting to wonder on 2 of them. The combs on 2 of my Americaunas are beginning to look a little pinker then my Buffs and I am getting worried. I do not want Roo's but I am getting attached to them. Please give me any help in decideing Which they may be. Please tell me the feather sexing way. I have been looking for wattles and none yet that I can tell. Also my Americaunas and Buffs are the same age supposedly but the Americaunas are quite a bit bigger and I thought the Buffs were supposed to be the bigger ones. They are eating start and grow, with plenty for all of them and fresh water, and all get along and there are no competitions for food but the Amer.'s are bigger. Does that make sense? Okay, stop snickering at the new mom and please help woth my questions if you can. Thanks Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Can you post pics?

3. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Okay, here are a couple pictures of the Americaunas that I am puzzeled about. It is the chick with the dark red head and the blonde headed one with the stripe on her head.. What do you think, roo or hen?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The redhead does have the same kind of tail as the buffs right now and I see no signs of wattles yet at 3 1/2 weeks but her comb does seem to be pinker then the others.

4. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    THey are pretty! That is about all I can tell ya LOL!

5. alaskajade

alaskajade New Egg

May 7, 2008
    I have seven four mo old chicks and the rooster is already starting to crow. he sounds as if he is being strangled but its definitely a crow. You will soon know one way or the other! You have my sympathy. Good luck![​IMG]

6. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    The one in the first pic looking to the camera with the Raccoon eyes looks like a Roo to me. His comb looks larger then it normally would be if a hen.

Does the other Ameracuana in the back of the picture have the same size comb?

The 3rd pic looks like a hen to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by