Help a newb know her chickens ;D

GratefulGreens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
So I'm fairly new to being a chicken-mama, so what can you all tell me about Cinnamon Queens and Buff Orpingtons? I realize that's a pretty broad question, so not really looking for anything specific, just your general experience w/ them?

Most grateful!

Quote:
No real breed expertise here, but I had 2 BOs, when I first got chickens. One was really smart, the other not so much, in fact she was the dumbest chicken I've ever seen; a sweetheart though & totally fearless.

Imp- the dumb one was my only predator loss. To this day I am convinced she walked up to a raccoon and shoved her head in its mouth, then bawked "Bite Me".

Buff orpingtons (BOs) are a duel purpose breed, so they were bred for meat and laying.

I have never heard of Cinnamon Queens but i did a quick search and just look like a production red, so basically they are bred for high egg production.

Buff Orpingtons are one of the few breeds which tends to go broody. Mine did. Production Reds/Cinnamon Queens/ Sex-Links are very good layers and SELDOM go broody. My BO is a friendly girl but my black sex-link is kinda mean. She was the bottom of the pecking order until I got two laying hens (before any of mine were laying) and Greta let THEM know THEY weren't anything special and SHE was higher on that pecking order now. She continues to let any newcomer know they can't push up to the feeder ahead of HER.

But she's a great layer.

Back
Top Bottom