Help a raccoon broke in.

TheOgdensmenagerie

Songster
6 Years
Feb 4, 2017
Eastern Montana

How did this happen?! They have been out there for 2 weeks and this happens last night?! They took one hen, my only BO hen about 8 weeks old. I'm very upset.

I'm thinking of putting 2 boards on the bottom of the pen and then adding a heavy duty wire to the outside of the boards. So itll be heavy duty wire outside, boards in the middle, and chicken wire inside. Does this sound like enough!

Any advice welcomed!!

Last edited:
Newbie here didnt know that!! It was utility stapled on. Every single one was stapled. Some had multiple staples. Dang it here I thought that they were in fort knox. :(
Do you think my idea with the boards and thicker wire outside will be sufficient.

I'm sorry you lost one, that's terrible. A friend of mine who has had chickens for years told me that once the raccoon gets in, he will keep coming back. I'd lock your chickens in the coop or move them temporarily until you can get the run more secure. I've always seen hardware cloth used, and not chicken wire. It's stronger and more secure. Good luck!

Hardware cloth attached with screws and washers every 12-18" and you can use staples in between them should work okay. I also recommend adding a skirt around if you have digging predators such as foxes around. I don't know if raccoons are inclined to dig but I know they are persistent. I would also set a trap, because that one will be back for round two of the buffet.

Last edited:
At the store picking up hardware cloth and screws with washer heads. Adding boards to the bottom also. Its a metal shed tuened coop so only the frpnt is accessible. The trap is already set!
Im also adding a motion light at the coop door. Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom