Help about adding 2 chicks to my current chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hmkokinchak, Mar 13, 2017.

1. hmkokinchak

hmkokinchak New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Connecticut
    I currently have 8 chicks (4 are 10 days old and 4 are 7 days old). I purchased these from my local feed store. I am possibly going to a local private breeder for 2 more chicks that are 3 wks old. Should i quarantine these 2 new chicks if I get them since they are not from the same place as my other 8? If yes how long? Will the age difference of 7ish days matter safety/health wise? Thanks I am a 1st time chick parent.

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hey, [​IMG]
    You may want to quarantine them for a couple of days, but they shouldn't be put together if there is a considerable size difference. Normal behavior for a larger chick/chicken can hurt a smaller chick/chicken. Good luck, keep us posted! Feel free to ask any questions. Have fun with your new flock!
    -M

3. hmkokinchak

hmkokinchak New Egg

Jan 4, 2017
    Connecticut
    Thanks. I'm hoping there won't be much size difference. My 8 chicks now (2-light Brahmas, 2-speckled sussex, 2-GLW, & 2-barred rocks.) The 2-3 week old chicks I'm looking to get are D'uccles.

4. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Cool! Good luck with your flock!

1 person likes this.
  5. MuffMom

MuffMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    PeopleRAnimals has a good point about size. I had to integrate several "litters" a couple years back and it took a bit of finesse to make sure the chicks were well together. I did quarantine first for 48 hours. Then I added and watched....who were the aggressors, who were the allies. I ended up taking part of the new group -along with several allies from the larger group-out for a week until they got bigger. The "aggressors" saw their old friends had new friends when I re introduced them and all were fine in the end. The important thing to take away is that you need to observe and see how it goes.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Three weeks age difference between chick groups is borderline doable. In other words, if you want to get newly hatched chicks and put them with chicks three weeks old, you may be able to pull it off without a lot of drama. You can only try, but be prepared to raise them, not separately, but with a barrier between them so they can still interact.

I had a similar situation a number of years ago. I had six chicks who were already six weeks old, and I added three newly hatched chicks. I tried putting one older chick at a time in with the babies, but it didn't work. All of my six-week olds wanted to torment the babies.

But chicks under one month old are far more likely to get along with younger chicks.

I continued to raise the two age groups side by side, though. I used two large cardboard appliance boxes taped together with a shared common wall that had been cut out with a screen over it. The two groups grew up together, and by the time they were merged, they knew one another well enough to go-exist more or less peacefully.

I would have far more concern about obtaining new chicks from a private breeder than with trying to manage two age groups. Do you know much about this breeder's operation? Are they certified as to complying with disease prevention and transmission?

In the seven years I've been on this forum, I've come across some real heartbreaking stories where folks added new chicks which turned out to import contagious viruses which not only destroyed their flock of existing chicks, but ruined for the future any chances of keeping a disease free flock on their premises due to permanent contamination. Even thought these unethical breeders were shut down and fined, it destroyed the hopes of the chick owners for decades.

Unless this breeder is credentialed, I wouldn't go anywhere near them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by