Help!!! about two week old silky chick found in mud (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PAchickenlover, Aug 14, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Chick was found covered in mud, mom and siblings were just walking all over it. It has mud in nistrils! How do I get it out? Thought this chick might be getting sick or that there justs was something not right with it the other day. It is the smallest one out of 6. Chick is stumbling around, is it comming down with cocci? Chirping franticly! I washed it up and put it under a heat lamp to dry. What else should I do? Corrid?
    Please help!!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Common there has to be someone out there who can help me... Chick can only breathe out of mouth I think!

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    How's she doing? Don't know how to help except keep warm and dry. Maybe the dried mud will come out by itself. [​IMG]

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    D: wow *bump*

If she seems weak then she will not make it [​IMG] I don't know what to say! hopefully someone will come accross! [​IMG] but I think you did ok!

5. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Oh I am amost in tears! I am so mad at myself. I was going to bring them in and I didn't and then we got a hard rain. I have been watching this chick for a couple of days now thinking that it was comming down with something prob. cocci. And then today this happens to it. [​IMG] and [​IMG] It keeps loosing its balance and is chirping constantly. It is in a box in my kitchen right now with a heat lamp over top (warm but not too warm).
    Thank you so much for your concern!
    Mollie

6. WildHorseMountain

WildHorseMountain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Your doing good keeping her warm and near you, as for her stopped up nose maybe you can use one of those nasal bulbs for infants that you squeeze and touch the end to her nostril and let it slowly suck out the blockages? Maybe even a non needle syringe if you have one of those? Poor baby, I hope she will be ok, sending healing thoughts your way.

7. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I mixed up some baby parrot food and offered it in a syringe. To my surprise [​IMG] It went for it fairly quickly. It seems to be doing a little better now. Is still chirping but not as frantically as before.
    Thanks again for your support.
    Mollie

8. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    Sugar water and get some sav a chick...do you feed medicated feed...it has stuff in it for cocci,as far as corid...idk if a chick that young can have it and if you do the same dosage as for olders? Hopefully someone with more experience will see this and help!

9. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Here is my baby
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. PAchickenlover

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    I got these baby chicks and theor mom from an auction last Tuesday. So I hvae no idea if they have been hetting medicated feed from the start. But I do give my chicks medicated feed. These are my first Silky's. I sure would hate to loose one so soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by