HELP . . . actually I just need input

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lilyt, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Lilyt

Lilyt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    It's been two weeks ago that my dog decided to rip the wing off one of my ducks. We discovered the attack probably within 15 minutes, although it took us about an hour to lure her off the pond. When we realized what had happened, it was a cold night, and you could see she was bloody on her right side, but she was still swimming with the flock and she would even come up to eat (our ploy to try to catch her and at least get her in the house).

We did catch her, and we kept her in the house, out of the cold, with food and water, and peace and quiet. She seems to have mended just fine, as far as we can tell. We even let her take a bath in the bathtub Tues night for the first time. We could see where she has scarred over in a couple of spots. There are also two stubs, for lack of a better word, that could have been sockets? but they don't seem oozy or anything.

My question is, I don't believe the entire wing will grow back. She doesn't seem to have lost her balance. Are we out of the woods? We named her Grace and I think it is amazing that shedidn't die the first night! I'm not ready to turn her back out on the pond, but I am wondering what WILL grow back? Will she have enough feathers for when it turns cold later in the year to protect herself? Will she compensate in some way for the lost wing?

Much thanks for any feedback!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm glad your duck healed so well. As you said, a wing won't grow back. I would not be surprised if she grows feathers to cover much of the skin. If she was a domestic duck breed, I don't know if she was much of a flyer before the injury, so maybe her day to day life won't be changed much.

3. Lilyt

Lilyt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    Fingers crossed! I was worried about infection but we seem to have dodged that bullet. I'm hoping she can still function on the pond and in the flock, protect herself, etc. Can't have her looking too much of a tasty invitation to predators!!

I've been doing some searching for books or articles on just basic duck anatomy and medical care but I haven't been able to locate much. We had one other duck survive a really brutal attack (we actually spotted her across the road just laying there with some good size chunks missing, but evidently nothing serious... no major organs). I didn't think she' make it all, but she fooled us as well.

I figure all I can do is give them a fighting chance. I bring them in, keep them warm and quiet, and let nature take its course. We've been fortunate so far. But I'd still like a crash course in duck medicine . . . for future reference!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by