kayoz

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Australia
Hi All
I am a complete newbie here.
smile.png

I have an adolescent Silkie rooster (bought as a hen at 10 weeks!) about 18-20 weeks old who has suddenly started terrorising our same-aged silky hen. He's pecking at her head and keeping her miserable.

We also have two Wyandotte-Australorp Xs of the same age, but being bigger they don't seem to be affected, or else he's not bothering them anyway, I'm not sure.

So, my question is basically, what do I do? Do we need to isolate him for a while - have them at least sleep separately? Get rid of him altogether? We also have three older chooks - two big Australorps and a Brown Hyline - who are in a separate run until the littlees catch up a bit in size. Should we put him in with them, would he be okay, being a rooster, or would they peck him to death?

Thanks!
Kirsten

I'd put him in with your big hens. He should be fine, and who knows, they may straighten him out!

Actually I think he is trying to mate now - maybe the pecking on the head was just pecking her into submission! Don't think he's having much luck though.

Sometimes it take a bit for a boy to figure out whats supposed to happen, and often the girls are not willing participants for these trial and errors:lol: If hes like my boys in the past, it will pass in a day or so. BUT....watch very closly!

Back
Top Bottom