elisemarie

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2017
I got my first ever chickens over a month ago. Our town's bylaw only allows us 3 hens so we have one White Orpington (1 year old) one Buff Orpington (3 months old) and one Silver Laced Wyandotte (3 months old).

The problem is that our WO is often pecking our SLW and plucks out her feathers in the process most of the time. Since Orpingtons are so big and the WO is the oldest, she is the alpha, and the SLW is the runt of the flock.
The SLW is never aggressive, and the pecking order is already established.

I heard that not enough calcium can upset adult hens so we provide her with oyster shells (also because the others are still on grower feed), which she willingly eats. Is this normal behaviour for hens? Any advice?

PS:
-The WO has been molting since we got her (if that makes a difference)
-The pecking happens between 1 time to a few times per day
- The hens are free range, with a sizeable coop.

A little bullying is okay. Drawing blood is NOT okay. With no rooster, the WO is probably not only alpha, but trying to be a little aggressive like a roo. Watch carefully, is she just being nasty, or is she trying to corral the SLW when she goes astray? Is the SLW allowed to eat? Allowed to have treats, or is she being kept away? If it is just once or twice a day, everyone is eating, everyone has enough room for some alone time, and NO BLOOD, you're probably okay.

Are they the birds in you avatar? The SLW feather color looks rooster.

An older bird pecking a younger is normal. As long as there's no blood being drawn it's nothing to worry about. A pecking order is never set and can always change, so top bird needs to remind those under who's in charge daily.

Oyster shells should always be available to laying hens. What are seeing as far as the white one molting? Is everyone eating a grower?

Yes, they are the birds in my avatar, the SLW hasn't acted like a rooster at all. I haven't seen any blood and she's allowed to eat and have treats. The WO has a few patchy spots but quite a lot of feathers. All of them are on grower but will be off in a month or two.
Likely no real problem going on. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom