HELP Advice needed Failure to thrive or bad breeding ?

GMOfreeMama

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2017
I have a 10 day old Barnvelder that refuses to grow. She/he is the same size as the day she hatched with one exception the wing feathers are growing at the rate her body should. She had pasty butt which has healed over 5 days ago she has received probiotics and she is isolated several times a day to privately munch of ground organic chick starter and scrambled eggs. She is a large silver Barnvelder. I really want this lil chick to make it and I would love any advice on what I can do to raise those odd or if it's stuck with bad breeding and we will most likely lose her. Most of the chick we ordered arrived weak and or DOA so I really hope this one survives.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
It does appear that she has a failure to thrive, but I wouldn't necessarily say it is because of bad breeding (i.e., bad parent stock). Sometimes, even from quality, healthy parents, a chick will hatch that has a deformity/problem causing it to not thrive. This is usually a random occurrence, not a result of readily heritable genetic flaws.

It sounds like you're taking very good care of your struggling chick. I would continue giving probiotics, as well as poultry vitamins/electrolytes if possible. Other than that, just make sure she eats, drinks, and isn't picked on. She will hopefully grow better, or not--nature will take its course; all you can do is help the best you can.

Thank you @bantamlover21 I assumed it was a breeding issues because most of the chicks came DOA and or very sickly I thought maybe they were breeding young hens getting smaller eggs =smaller chicks. The baby seems a little stronger today but no growth.
1f64f-1f3fb.png

Back
Top Bottom