help, advice needed, fox attack midday.

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
I got a panicked phone call that the ducks had been attacked by a fox In the middle of the afternoon. we had put them in the garden, there is an electric fence but it is not netting, mostly for keeping out rabbits and raccoons, anyway, there was an awful ruckus and my wife went running, found 4 of 5 seemingly unscathed but riled and one missing, she actually chased the fox away, and it came back for its prey when she found the missing duck, alive but unable to stand on one leg. after securing the other ducks in the duck yard she took the injured duck to a local vet who deals with birds. she thinks its a torn ligament in the hock? gave a rather expensive price for a 5 dollar duck to fix it but we do love our birds and she feels fairly confident it is a hen, which is a good thing.
should we go forth with having her worked on? I am not sure what this entails but Its about 500 bucks worth of something. its tough, a new to us vet, and with Covid concerns its like the old game of telephone where information changes hands several times. I should add, that the cost of vetting is not the issue I am asking about here. but would the duck be able to go on with a semi normal life with a repaired hock?

we have the duck inside tonight, as opposed to in the duck house, she hasn't eaten her favorite treat of strawberry tops and isn't able to walk around on her own. she doesn't seem really interested in drinking, we have some pain stuff for her from the vet that we are supposed to give over food. I am going to try some scrambled egg soon and perhaps some peas, she loves peas.
what else can we be doing for her? and what are all your thoughts?
are there any home remedies or things I could try, even just to get her to eat or drink? perhaps separating the flock was the wrong thing but it seemed quiet time would be better in the long run. we tried bringing the other Rouen as they are like Mutt and Jeff but it just flipped everyone out being further separated.

Right now she needs quiet and rest. Ducks are amazing how well they can recover. I can’t tell you you should or shouldn’t spend that money on fixing your duck only y’all can make this decision. But they are great at making great recovery’s. Did the vet feel she could make a good recovery? Maybe she’ll eat some peas but she may not feel like eating right now but keep a nice bowl of fresh water for her.

Right now she needs quiet and rest. Ducks are amazing how well they can recover. I can’t tell you you should or shouldn’t spend that money on fixing your duck only y’all can make this decision. But they are great at making great recovery’s. Did the vet feel she could make a good recovery? Maybe she’ll eat some peas but she may not feel like eating right now but keep a nice bowl of fresh water for her.
thanks for the reassurance, I guess the reason I brought up the cost was to say that it appeared there was a "treatment" in mind but I am not sure of the details. I wasn't at the vet, I don't mind doing it to help the thing if it will help, we weren't sure that she was a female, but the vet seemed to think she was, hard to tell just yet.

we just went down, she ate a few peas, and we got most of a dose of pain meds in by putting little pieces into the peas. her foot just looks withered like a dried up leaf, and she doesn't use the leg at all. :(
I did get her to drink a little water which was good because I was worried about it, she just pushes herself into the corner of the pen, seems happier there, perhaps safer?
IMG_0681.JPG

Bless her heart. she has been through some awful trauma. What have you decided? Boy what a close call good thing your wife was there to intervene.
she's going to the vet today I guess, perhaps you understand better whats going on but from my reading I assume what the vet is talking about is more akin to an ACL surgery or repair than a slipped tendon repair? she did specifically say ligament but was going to do X-rays today. we had a dog years ago when I was a teenager who tore his ACL and the vet replaced it with fishing line, several wraps of 30 lb test IIRC, surgery cost 250 at the time as opposed to a previous proposal from a different vet of 1500 and the dog was walking without a limp in a week. is it possible to do such things to a duck?

Back
Top Bottom