HELP?ADVICE!!Swollen hock/Joint twists out but not broken HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by loot4louie, May 11, 2010.

1. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    HI and thanks for any advice or knowledge.

I had a little EE born 3 weeks ago, she was the last to hatch and live of a poor hatch with suspected humidity issues. At first both legs were against chest and she shuffled on hocks. I massaged her legs gently at 1 day as she appeared to want to live. Pecked others etc. Both legs hinged forward and back when gently rubbed but left was much more swollen and twisted slightly. I set toes on right as they were curled and supported bad leg with band aids for several days. I created a cast with pipe cleaners that encouraged ankle to bend and feet to lie flat. She was able to actually stand one I began building her supports. I took her to a bird vet at one week. He said there was no break and her leg hinged properly but was swollen. He recommended removing all support and letting her go natural as he suspected it had been dislocated and did not go back well. He said she will always limp some. Of course ther is a surgery... But honestly I don't think I can afford that.

She is now almost 3 weeks and gets around well, but she still does not bend her ankle and her hock is BIG. She holds the left leg out with curled toes. She does not bear weight on it. She uses her left wing to help with balance. She still bosses around the others some- gosh I hope its a she:)

Can she live with one leg if the other never mends? THANKS

2. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    There are 1 legged chickens in the world, but I've never seen them. You will have to pay special attention for predators if she lives. Good luck, she has a chance because it seems as though she has a will to live! Keep a close eye on her.

3. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Thanks- she is definately going to be a pet. I have a small backyard/semi urban flock and will be extra careful with her! If needed I will find her an even smaller flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by