Help/Advise Chicken lethargic wont stand up.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by saltnprepper, Feb 7, 2012.

1. saltnprepper

saltnprepper Chillin' With My Peeps

My smallest hen (Ameruacana) between (12-15 weeks old, they said she was 9 wks when I got her but she has always been so much smaller than the other two I thought they were just wrong, there must of been 50 pullets in there when I got them) she is the one that seems to get picked on by the big wyandotte was just laying in the shavings this morning under where the other two were roosting last night.

When I went to close them up last night I noticed that my small girl was under where the other two hopped up to roost. I figured she would follow them when I left.

This morning when I went out the other two were up and waiting to go out and she just sat there. It was early just barely light out and I figured again she would just follow. I wasn't to concerned. She was completely normal no signs of anything off until last night when I didn't really pay to much attention to her not getting on the roost.

I went back inside and about an hour later went to check her, it just felt off. She was still there. I picked her up and she poop as I picked her up. It was watery but still solid. I checked out the food, and water, they were both more than half way full. I fill them once a day. However, for the past two days they really havnt eaten much feed. They have been out enjoying the new run and eating the grass and such, so again I wasnt to worried but noticed it. I had cleaned the coop out two days ago and put in clean fresh water.

I brought the hen in and got water, scratch, feed and shavings into a big cardboard flat with 4 in sides. I put down a layer of shavings and sat her down, she rolled to her side. I thought she was going to die! I sprinkled some feed and some scratch into the corner and put water in the other corner. Then I got a snuggle safe warmer (its a plastic disc that you heat in the microwave it stays warm for hours) and I warmed it and put her on it and wrapped her in a towel and held her on my lap. I got her to drink some water from a spoon and then mixed some oats and milk and warmed them and made a very very thin runny oatmeal. She drank about a tsp of this mix and had about a tsp of water.

She was acting like she just was to tired to move and now she is napping in the box and stirs every once in a while. She still wont stand but she will fluff her feathers and will lift and stretch her wings every once in a while.

It has been 3 hours since I brought her in she is napping like I said. I wake her and get her to drink water from a spoon. She pooped one more time since being inside, it was just small and a darker brown and soft but not liquid and only about 1/2 tsp size.

Any advise on how to nurse her and what to look for would be appreciated.

She had been keeping her eyes shut and now she opens them and looks around but she does not even flinch when I go to move her or pick her up, she is very lethargic. She is not paralized. she moves her legs and if I put her to stand she will hold herself up as long as she can lean on me or the edge of the box but then just goes down, slow not falling but like shes really tied and just cant stand.

I was thinking maybe shes not getting enough nutrition the other two are kind of bullies but she has access to the food I have never seen them keep her from the food but the big girls eat first.

2. saltnprepper

I dont think shes going to make it. I am giving it as long as I can to be humane but I am starting to wonder if she was the same age as the others and is so small and not really growing that maybe this was just a nutrition thing for this bird.

The other two birds seem just fine. However, this one was fine just smaller just yesterday.

I have been watching the other two closely. They are eating and drinking and going in and out of the coop to and from the run. They are pooping and it looks normal. I cleaned out the coop and now I think I just need to wait.

Im sad and feel like I did something wrong. I did do my best and I have done as much homework and reading as I can.

I feel helpless to keep this from happening to the others if I cant identify it.

3. saltnprepper

I thought she was gone she was all stretched out on her side legs sticking out and when I got up close she flapped her wings. I went in to reconcile what I was going to have to do and went back out and she was on her breast sitting eyes open. I offered her water from a spoon and she drank a little. I just dont know what to do. I have made her a place in the garage and have food and water out for her and I go out and offer it to her often. But what do I do now?

4. saltnprepper

Went back out to check on her and she was gone. I am worried about my other chickens now. I keep checking on them. They seem fine but the only indication I got of this was last night when she didnt roost and then when she didnt get up this morning. Im going to have to tell my youngest child now. I really got hopeful when I saw her sitting last time I checked on her.

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    If you have a sharp knife and are up for it, you could do a necropsy. That's pretty much the only way to know whether something went wrong on the inside or if she had worms, etc. Some people on here have found pretty incredible (sometimes nasty) things during necropsy that just aren't supposed to be there. It's the risk we take demanding sexed day-old pullets - they are production breeds and bred for egg-laying capability and nothing else. Unfortunately that sometimes means significantly shortening their lifespan and sometimes even not making it through the hormone fluxes of puberty.

6. saltnprepper

I dont have fortitude for that. I wish I did. I ordered both Ivermectin paste and safeguard and will be deworming the two remaining. They look fine tonight, eating and drinking all day digging a hole playing in dirty this afternoon and on the roost tonight. The one that I lost was for sure smaller than the other two. I put ACV in the water, we take braggs so I figured it wasnt going to hurt. I will deworm chickens and dogs (no sign of worms in the dogs, we were in Alaska and the weather and almost all indoor conditions helped with that, but were in WA state now with wet soil all the time) So I will deworm all pets. These pullets are 15 weeks old and the one I lost was for sure smaller and the picked on one, I did notice she was being picked on this last week more than usual. I hope I wake to happy healthy chicken tomorrow. Today was rough.

7. saltnprepper

Spoke to the breeder I got them from. He has the Merricks Vac information, they were vaccinated. He has not had any other reports of death in this hatch and still has about 20 of them at his farm. He is very reputable and has offered replacement and a lot of understanding and information. He made me feel better at least.

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your loss - I lost my sick pullet last night also. Don't have a "private" enough space for necropsy so this one will remain a mystery. I hope your other two girls remain happy and healthy!

9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If you can, have her necropsied. Most states have a low or no cost program for this. Marek's vaccine does not prevent the bird from getting/carrying the disease. So sorry for your loss.

10. saltnprepper

The other two are fine today, healthy poop.. and a big pile of it for me this morning right under the roost in their corner. Its raining and they still went out to look for something to forage.

I did check the eyes of the bird that died, no Merricks eye symptoms. Im going with parasite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by