Help!!! ***AGAIN***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kris41, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kris41

kris41 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    OK, so I think I know the answer ("Don't open the incubator") but I just need to know to rest my mind a little. We are using a LG incubator and have the eggs in cartons. Our first baby is out and is crawling all over the other eggs. I am not worried about that so much, but she keeps bumping her head on the heating element on the top. What should I do? Will this hurt her or is she fine for now. I have another one that has pipped, but no more hatched right now. Thanks so much.

Kristie

OK, now there is a new problem.

The second chick is out but it seems like his umbilical cord still attached to him and the top of his egg. He is dragging the top of the shell around and now his little foot is all wrapped up in the cord. What should I do? Will he be OK

Thanks.

Kristie

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I would leave the little guy in there and not risk the other eggs by opening the bator.
    Is he responding like he is getting hurt when he hits his head on the heating element?
    Carolyn

3. kris41

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    He is back in his own shell and resting right now, but when he was doing it, he would shake his head a bit. I will wait for a while. I also think all his noise is motivating the other one to get out. [​IMG] Wish us luck.

Kristie

4. kris41

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    Does anyone have any idea about what to do about the cord? It is wrapped around her leg and there is a chunk of gray stuff hanging off it and she is still conneced to the shell. Help!

5. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I would QUICKLY open the lid and take him out, just open enough to slide your hand in and take him out replace lid quick!! untangle the cord from his leg and put him in the brooder you dont want him to pull it and cause bleeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by