1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help Again!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollybell, May 20, 2011.

1. hollybell

hollybell Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Hello again
    I have been waiting on a chick that has been chipping in it's egg since the 18th and still on sign of it coming out ...it is it's 24th day !!! How long should I wait ?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sorry, but it's long enough that baby isn't going to make it.

3. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi,
    When you say chipping, I am assuming he has broke the shell of the egg.
    Is the egg just pipped (a small first chip out of the egg) or has he progressed further?

Carolyn

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. hollybell

May 18, 2011
    No he hasn't even made a whole !! Should I just take the egg out and leave him die ...keeping him alive inside the closed shell so terrible...the other 6 eggs that I did the floating test have chicks inside but I don't think they are alive or else they would of hatched along with all 17 that hatched on the 16th !? Should I wait more or just turn off the incubater? THANKS

5. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    You may of had a temp problem, generally with mine they only start chirping the day they are going to hatch or the day before very softly. If your temps were off (cooler than your thermo said) you could have a late hatch taking more than the 21 days. I would try to keep from opening the incubator & see what happens.

Someone else might not agree.

6. hollybell

May 18, 2011
    They were 23 in all and they started to hatch Monday on the 20th day and stopped hatching tuesday . 17 in all have hatched . I had 15 of my own eggs from my heds and they all hatched apart from one which is still in the incubater... and the other 9 eggs were from a friend ,Orpington eggs only 3 of these have hatched ..but they all had chicks inside ....But I don't think they are alive apart from poor little chipping eggs (hasn't even made a hole ) I don't know what to do !!

7. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Ok that is interesting, no temp problem then. It may not make it even if you attempt to help it. I'm not sure that I would even know to tell you how to help it.

8. florasbell

florasbell Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    germany
    i dont really know what im talking about but iv read on here that if the egg has enternal pip but hasnt hacthed you could put a tiny hole in the shell where the air sac is so he an breath just be careful not to hurt the baby maybe iv got it wrong but that what i understood

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My experience has been that after the chick starts chirping, it will usually hatch within 24 hours. If it doesn't hatch, then there is a problem inside like a dried out membrane. One duck i had to help out of the shell had a deformed top bill, so no egg tooth and no way to chip away the egg. i'm glad i helped her. My general feeling is, if it seems the chick or duck is having trouble making it out of the egg, i might as well help. If it dies anyway, well then at least i've done my best.

Were it me, and i heard a chick peeping for more than 24 hours, i would make a small hole in the large end of the egg, so i could look inside. You'll be able to tell at that point if you have a dried membrane or if it is still engorged with blood. You should also be able to tell if the chick is still alive. From that point, you can follow directions on how to help the chick out.

There are links to help you here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48726

Good
    luck! Hope all goes well.

10. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    How is your humidity? Chickie may be stuck. If you want to give her a chance to live, poke a

hole in the fat end of the egg, where the air sac is so she can breath. She'll be running out of air soon.

I generally hate to help a chick unless it's not hatching because of somthing - I - caused, because I don't want

to break an egg opened to find a deformed chick, who would have to be culled anyways. If she has been in there

3 days, she most likely has absorbed her yolk and what not, and is ready to come out. Heres a thread for helping

chicks out if you decide this is what you want to do. ~

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

the part where it shows how to help the baby is closer to the bottom of the first post, so you'll

have to scroll down a bit. I must warn you that she still may not make it. I just zipped an egg for

two shrink wrapped chicks, and I still do not think they'll make it. [​IMG]

Good luck!

Last edited: May 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by