help again!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kjk66ss, Feb 12, 2012.

1. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    [​IMG] ok ,im back again with more questions.
    i have a 5 week old RIR. by the looks of the head(correct me if im wrong) looks like a pullet.
    question is why is the tail so short? when it was about 2 weeks the other RIR that hatched the same time had a 2 inch tail before this one even started growing. any ideas?

im also stuck on what the bread of these younger chicks are?
    i hatched them and was told they were RIR also but they are really light and was hoping for atleast one roo but they all are growing wings and tails at the same rate.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    the five week old is most likely a production red. it is a pullet i blieve, but is not a RIR, simply not dark enough and has those white feather tips i see in many production breeds. the young are not RIR either, but hard to tell at this point. nice looking healthy chickens all the same.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    5 week old Production Red pullet.

The little guys could be PRs as well... Possibly RSL.

4. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    if they were sex links how would i tell the difference in the males and females?

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    If they are sexlinks, the females will be red and the males white. So ... IF they are sexlinks, they're probably all females, if that's all of them in the picture. However, I'm not positive they are RSL.

6. Looks like a pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by