Help again.

Momof12chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 5, 2014
I have a chicken that has a bare butt. The other chickens pecked at her.
I have her in the house. My question is if I clean her can I put her back outside. It is going to be -40 tonight. I don't want her to be in the house to long. I have other chickens with bare butt. I have one chicken that is doing this to the others. I know it is from being board.
I still have my one chicken in the house from months ago. She still has no feather growing back. I don't want to put her in until it warms up she has been in house to long. we have had such cold weather they don't like to go in the run as much as they used to. They will not come outside they hate snow. I put some toys in the coop and will getting somethings this week to keep them busy. Ok just rambling now. Please help. I will send a photo of her butt. Thanks Momof12 chickens. Getting so nuts with this I don't think I will have chickens when they all go. I love them but can't have understand this I spoil them am out there talking to the and checking them like 5 times a day. Clean coop all the time. They are healthy no bugs and no warms. Treat for everything. Good food and give them everything they need. :(. I put some bag balm on it to loosen up the scab to see how bad it is.

Ok so I put her in the coop in a dog cage. She was happy and her sisters were too. Will keep cleaning her and keep her in there until she heals.

I might be oversimplifying things, but i think that if i were in your shoes, i would be inclined to clean up all the bare butts, spray them down with some blue-kote type product, and put them back in the coop - but remove the trouble-maker, and see if you still have the pecking. With wounds that bad, i think you would need to re-apply the blue-kote every couple of days or so, just to keep the wound camouflaged from the other chickens.

Just a thought.

I too think removing the possible troublemaker and treating the injured sounds like a wise course of action if you don't think the coop will be too cold for the bare-bottom ones. Good luck, harmony in a flock can be so difficult to achieve, one bad egg...

Thank you. I will go and get some of that spray and do that. The one that is pecking has blood on he so I know she is doing it. She has been the head of pecking from the time I got her. She was a baby chick. I will put her in the cage when I get the spray. That black on her butt was a scab. Thank you will up date soon.

She has been pecking the other chicken since Dec. she has always been the boss. But has never hurt any other girls until December. She is small and fast we call her road runner. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom